Cannot open links in IE6 & Outlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

selig

Beta member
I run Windows 98, 2nd Edition.

All of a sudden, I cannot open links in the body of web pages or in my e-mail. As an example, I just registred into this forum and received an e-mail with instructions on how to complete the registration by double clicking on the address included in the e-mail. When I attempted to do this the address bar at the top of the page when blank and it then hung. So the only way I could complete the registration was to type in the address, press enter and it responded.

This happens on all e-mails that I receive.

When I'm in IE, I get the same problem, whenever I attempt to open a link, the address bar goes blank and then just doesn't do anything else, unless I type in the address if I have it.

Sometimes, when I try to open a link, a blank page appears that has a address at the top that reads 'about:blank-Microsoft Interner Explorer. At other times, the border of the window opens, but the body is clear and it shows the same 'about:blank, etc...'

At other times when I've attempted to open a link, I get the link open with a blank page and at the bottom there is amessage that reads, 'open, but with errors'.

This all seems to have started when my Norton Anti-Virus 2002 became corrupted. It would not complete Live Update, just stall.

I deleted Norton (including all references that I could find in the registry) and then installed AVG, which installed OK and seems to do the scans and updates without any problem.

I do not have fire wall installed and I'm certain that there is a file in my computer that is causing this. Have tried re-installing IE6 and also the Repair function, but no help.

Any suggestions? Please!

selig -

Thanks, yes I did install the SP1 update and lower the security with no change. I'm inclined to agree that I might have to 'clean 'er up!'. Just didn't want to go through the hassle if I could avoid it.

I do believe Norton is the problem, anyway to get a list of everything Norton 2002 puts in the registry?

selig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom