Cannot open folders in same window / AutoPlay doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. Thanks for the quick reply once more.

Firstly, apologies for the ''noobiness'' if you will, but when you say put a little in file ''on there'' and try to run ''the app'', I'm not sure where ''there'' is and what ''app'' you are referring to. Also, I am not sure how to write an INF file, either. Can you explain?

oh sure. create a txt document from notepad, except change the .txt to .inf

autorun.inf

and put it on the root of your USB key

in that file put the following:

Code:
[autorun]
icon=(put the program path here, like "firefox.exe" without the quotes)
open=(same as above)

When I did this yesterday, it would change the icon of the USB device to the Firefox icon, but it still wouldn't auto start Firefox... so the autorun feature is working, but it's just not allowed to execute.

If it does the same for you, then it's either a reg entry or a policy on the computer and not a virus.

here's a handy website:
USB Drive AutoRun.inf Tweaking

Ah right. I thought I had to make a text document and change the extension, I just wasn't aware of what Code to put inside. Thanks. I'll post with results in a second.

Update: Here is what I did, nothing changes. When I double click the USB, again F:\ Application not found!

When I right click, explore and get inside the USB, double clicking the Autorun.inf file opens the notepad file. All shown in the attachments below.

Attachments

• autoruninf.jpg
    autoruninf.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 123
Wait so the exe i am referring to needs to be on the flash drive? I didn't know that. No, there isnt a chrome.exe on the flash drive. But there is a ccsetup.exe, and I just tried changing chrome.exe's to ccsetup.exe's and it didn't work anyways.

What do you think that suggests?

Okay then this is something different from what I saw... sorry!

You could also go to M$ website and get Process Monitor and try to figure out which EXE's are responsible for opening USB keys (probably RunDLL32.exe or something arcane sounding like that) and watch it with process monitor and see which registry keys it's accessing.

I see. What you wrote down last seems a little complicated, but thanks anyways.

Anyone else have any ideas as to how I can solve these EXTREMELY disturbing issues?
PLEASE?

Did you disable AutoRun at any point? It was suggested a while back to prevent viruses and malware from getting instant access on a machine that AutoRun be disabled. Did you by chance disable it and forget that you had done so?

If not check out this thread found via a Live Search.

John Barnett's Windows Vista Support: AutoRun/AutoPlay Don't Work When A CD/DVD Is Inserted

In there it gives you the Registry Entry for the Autorun for a CD. All you have to do is find the one for USB Devices. That plus it also shows 2 other locations to see if AutoRun will get enabled by removing or changing a different Registry entry.

Windows Explorer Folder View settings - Vista Forums

Try that to fix your Explorer Window issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom