Cannot install windows updates - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Cannot install windows updates

Strange thing occurred today. I clicked on windows update and went to install some after SP1, and I got 2 windows come up for downloading updates. When I closed one it said after a minute that my updates were ready to install. After trying to install for 40 minutes on 1 out of 23 or so... I had to cancel the operation. Now everytime I boot up it changes my update preference (automatically install) to turn off auto update. Also when I switch it back to automatically download the shield comes up in the lower right and says updates ready to install... but when I do it tells me they all have failed to install. Even if I go to the website it does the same thing.

Can someone help me? I havew even tried to system restore back to SP1 and install over again, but then it says that SP1 cannot install due to not being able to verify the .inf file. Please help, I just did a fresh install and don't want to have to do it all again...

Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
LA1
Super Techie

Have you tried going directly to Microsofts update on the web ?

Old 01-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

you need to download sp2 seperatly and then slipstream it into a new xp cd
Old 01-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Yeah I went right to the website for the updates.. and how do I slipstream it?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Amd2800 Send a message via AIM to Amd2800 Send a message via Yahoo to Amd2800

Quote:
Originally posted by NZ-Disciple
Yeah I went right to the website for the updates.. and how do I slipstream it?
try Nlite from www.nliteos.com

Dell Studio 1747 Laptop
CPU : Intel I7 - Q720 @ 1.66Ghz - Ram: 4GB Ram DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel - Mobo : Dell - HDD: 2x 500GB Sata 2 - OS1: Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Quote:
I want a processor in my brain..... Can i upgrade my ram?

Old 01-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
LA1
Super Techie

to use the slipstream, once you made it, I beleive that you have to reinstall xp.

what error did you get when you went to the web site,,, or was that what you were talking about it took a really long time ?

the errors are hard to see they are near the bottom and are usually 0x8xxxxxxx something, after you get the page stating that the update can not continue or what ever.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Right now I have the shield in the lower right side saying Installing updates.. it's been there for about 4 hours now. When I go to the MS website to download I have 23 updates to download. When I click on install updates.. they all show up in the window in bold saying failed to install. Every time I reboot, my automatic updates switches to turned off. Basically my question is.. is there a way around this so I can update my comp to current witout having to reinstall windows and start over.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562