Cannot install windows components (Accessories, IE and stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonsayers

Baseband Member
Just recovered from a large HDD catasrophe which meant that i deleted alot of stuff during the repair process.

Anyways im rebuilding my PC and ive encounterd a couple of problems. I have no MS paint or anything (the accessories) and when I try to reinstall them from Add/remove it says please insert the Win xp CD, or direct it to the i386 folder. Well, I downloaded SP3 and pointed it to the i386 folder and it doesn't 'take' it. So I have no acessories.

Also Photoshop and some other programs I giving me an error about something:

Photoshop - Entry Point not Found

The procedure entry point >>_D?$basic_ifstream@DU$char_traits@D@std@@@std@@QAEXXZ could not be located in the dyanmic link library MSVCP80.dll

Some other progs like Windows live messenger have given me this. Is there a way I can get the default XP files?

I know youll say the XP cd but I do not have it (PC was custom made elsewhere). Can I get a mini-image or some sort of prog which restores all essential files? I thought SP3 would but evidently not :(

SP3 is just a bunch of fixes. It is not a replacement for the XP CD.

K i downloaded xp home edition and put it on a cd, set up the cd drive to boot first in bios, did the xp repair thing, all was going well until it got to the setup screen after XP loaded.

This was the setup screen where it tells you the features of xp etc, not the bios-like setup screen. I got many 'copy errors' with many files, its still asking for the i386 folder even after a repair. It has the ******n XP disc in the drive for god sakes, what more can you want, I have xp cd, sp3 on my c: and it's still not finding this i386 thing.

So ive had to skip lots of most likely important files to finish the setup. After reboot , I am now locked out of XP on the logon screen and XP is asking me to activate. I cannot do anything now, cant activate, and cant access my PC because its not letting me on, when will this nightmare end

Id rather have the disc errors back , least the pc was functionall...

does that mean that now my xp is an invalid install? my original XP is a valid version, I jus downloaded xp to use the repair feature as I dont have the CD.

what do I do now? im worse off than I was lol

XP home, both original install was home, and downloaded one was home.

Ive fixed the activation via a solution I found online.

After all that the repair thing didn't do much. I keep getting these copy errors. Something is wrong with this i386 folder malarky. I try to install SP3 and it gets copy errors too, what more can an installer want, an xp cd and service pack? oh wait.

Hm. I installed SP3 from windows update and now XP doesnt boot.

I got a blue screen after a while at the xp splash, other attempts (2) just hung at the xp splash for ages until I turned it off. Im trying to go into safe mode atm but its taking a long time.

I trusted you windows update :(

What is the error code that is given? We need the STOP error code (formatted as such: 0x000000##, where ## = some alphanumeric combination) as well as the lettering in all caps at the top (e.g. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), and if it lists any drivers or not following the STOP error code.

Do you have an AMD CPU by chance? I figured they had fixed this already since I've updated several AMD systems, but there was a bug where SP3 made the system unbootable:

HP solution for XP SP3 Restart Bug:
Boot Computer in Safe Mode
Use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
Right-click intelppm.sys and rename it to XXXintelppm.syx
Restart Windows
*****If the computer is unable to boot into safe mode do the following:
Press F8 during startup and load the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
Type the number that corresponds to your Windows installation
Type cd c:\windows\system32\drivers at the command prompt
Type rename intelppm.sys XXXintelppm.syx
Restart Windows

The Microsoft fix for the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Restart Bug:
Boot the Computer into Safe Mode
Press Windows R, type regedit, hit enter
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\I ntelppm
right-click the Start entry in the right pane and select modify
Enter 4 in the Value Data box
Close regedit, restart the computer

cant get into safe mode, it hangs at MUP.SYS

Originally, I did boot from the xp cd and I did the repair thing, during xp setup I got alot of errors, it couldnt copy lots of files

Now im trying to boot from the CD, run the xp recovery console, it takes a long time. I went to the black screen which I assume is the recovery console, but it only had 3 lines, I couldnt do nothing, i assume it crashed

I was afk momentarily as I was waiting for it, I saw something flash on the screen, which I assume i was supposed to click/press

I am now trying again and not taking my eyes off the screen so I dont miss what it says on the recovery console. boy this is hard going

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom