Cannot Download/Upload Torrents and Surf Simultaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipique

In Runtime
So I have this strange problem that I haven't been able to figure out. If I open uTorrent, I cannot surf the web. Right now I am ONLY seeding, and the total UL doesn't go above 25k (I have a 20Mbx2Mb cable connection), but if I try to go to a web site, I get, "The server at btjunkie.org can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed." I get the same issue with Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox.

I've tried different routers as well.

Nothing else is using my internet connection.

I'm on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, Windows 7 x64, i7 quad-core with 8gb of ram.

To make this even crazier, the same thing happens on my desktop when I have torrents running on it.

Any suggestions?

Dan

Sounds like your ISP doesn't want you to use torrents.

Can you still visit those sites via IP when running utorrent? You might have to call your ISP to see if they limit your internet during such activities, or ask on the utorrent forums.
Have you also tried other torrent software?

Please take note, Tech-Forums.net doesn't permit discussion of actual torrents, but if I remember right, we can still help resolve issues to an extent.
(Waiting to get a warning, or an infraction, but, oh well.)

Sounds like your ISP doesn't want you to use torrents.

Can you still visit those sites via IP when running utorrent? You might have to call your ISP to see if they limit your internet during such activities, or ask on the utorrent forums.
Have you also tried other torrent software?

Please take note, Tech-Forums.net doesn't permit discussion of actual torrents, but if I remember right, we can still help resolve issues to an extent.
(Waiting to get a warning, or an infraction, but, oh well.)

This discussion is within the rules, so no infraction.

This discussion is within the rules, so no infraction.

Not even for funzies?

@OP, as c0rr0sive said first thing I'd try is using another torrent program. If it still fails, open up command prompt and type:

ipconfig/all

Check what your DNS server's IP address is listed as. If it starts with 192, 172, or 10, then it's using your router to get DNS info.

Use the steps here to browse to the adaptor settings, then manually set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 (see step 6 in the link).
Click ok/apply to all the open windows/tabs you have.
Next, open command prompt and type:

ipconfig/flushdns

Then type:

nslookup google.com

If it resolves ok, and you can load webpages ok, open utorrent and start downloading. Then try to access webpages again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom