Cannot copy OE6 messages from disk back to OE6 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2002, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Cannot copy OE6 messages from disk back to OE6

Doing a factory restore (Presario 5000T, Windows ME, Outlook Express 6) I backed up e-mails from OE6 to disks. Now I cannot get my e-mails copied off the disk back into OE6. I have tried (1) from OE6, importing directly from the A drive; (2) from OE6, trying to import the e-mails (copied from A drive) from my desktop & my C drive; (3) from my A drive, copying the files into OE6; & (4) copying the e-mails from A drive & e-mailing them to myself. Nothing has worked. Using (1) it appears the files are being copied (the e-mail folders are 136 kb, 507 kb etc so there must be something on them) and the “copying” takes about 30 seconds; however, when I go back into OE6 the e-mails aren’t there. Using (2) and (3) an error message states: “no messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open” (I do not have the folder(s) open). Is there a way I can drag the e-mails back into OE6? Or what else can I do?? Thank you.

Old 09-20-2002, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
All Seeing Eye

how have you back-upped you mails m8..?
read what I've done some time ago, maybe it will be helpful (for next time, heh..)
for backuping Microsoft Outlook Express:
open outlook
choose 'adress book'
|(for backuping messages, do the same, just choose 'messages')
submit the 1st opition 'Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book'
enter 'output'
| (or 'output')
|(if that option do not work cause some of windows compoments was not installed, do next)
submit the 2nd opition 'Text File'
enter 'output'
enter file's saving location and name
enter 'finish' or
backup this file by putting it on a disket or like

GoOd LuCk!

heh, cheers (B) m8..
Closed Thread