Cannot boot from installation disk, suspect bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
Recently my passwords stopped working, and after trying a couple of solutions I tried reloading the op system. I found out I could not boot from the vista installation disk, even though it works fine on other computers. I also cannot go into safe mode (f8) where I might have been able to fix the password problem.
I can boot from linux install disk, which makes me suspect something wrong in the bios. I am not familiar with bios, can it be corrupted in such a sophisticated way that only windows install disks don't work? I've tried install disks from other versions of vista, and none can boot.
Is there a way I can fix the bios? I tried removing the battery, which I thought restores bios defaults, but that did not work either

Thanks

I tried the windows cd on another computer and it boots up. So the disk is okay.

Also I tried other windows op system disks and they won't boot on this computer.

It puzzles me, is it possible to corrupt the bios exactly so all vista install disks don't boot? I'm calling gigabyte to see what's up on this.

Contacting gigabyte if I can ever get thru to them. Saving money by making it hard to ask for help.

Have you checked to see if there is a known BIOS issue with your current BIOS and Vista? Have you checked to see if there is an update to your BIOS that has one of the bug fixes listed as Vista Compatibility?

I will check up on any bios issues. But of course I did install vista originally on this computer and haven't changed the bios. Also I'm using the same motherboard on my media computer and the vista disk loads there.
GA-EP43T-UD3L mobo
Waiting for gigabyte to write back :)

Have you removed all devices but the Video Card, Hard Drive, Keyboard and mouse to make sure that it isnt another device you have plugged in causing this error?

Don't think I have any other devices plugged in except speakers. Will check. Looked up the Bios on the Gigabyte website, no incompatibility warnings.
I talked to a gigabyte tech, he thought it might be the dvd (same one I used for the original vista install). I tried booting with new dvd drive I had lying around. No go.
I suppose I should keep thinking of other easier possibilities first?
The G tech said at worst I would have to erase the bios completely and flash it. I think I would have to download utility the from company that made the bios onto a floppy (need to buy floppy drive!) and run it.
Heard that is risky. ****. Made this computer with my own hands, didn't know a hacker could destroy the actual computer.

A hacker cant destroy the PC or the BIOS. A BIOS is a simple tool used to get the PC started. It isnt like it is on a rock solid foundation. I think you have a misconception on what the BIOS really is. All it does is point the PC to the Hard Drive where it starts to look for the boot information. So it is like leading a horse to water. There isnt much to these things they are still left over from when PC's first came to be. Your talking over 30 years and they still havent found a better way to start them up.

It doesnt take much to corrupt a BIOS. Also just cause the disk works in other machines, doesnt mean that it is a good disk. Does it have scratches on the bottom? Maybe the drive is to sensitive and cant read that data.

My real question is what leads you to think BIOS right away? If the PC can get to Windows you just have an issue with getting past your password, then it is not the BIOS. If you can boot to a Linux LiveCD, then it is not the BIOS. If it was the BIOS you would not be able to boot at all. No way around it.

Where did you get all of these Vista disks from that you have tried? Have you gotten one directly from Microsoft?

These are all oem disks I've bought from newegg, for different computers I use for different purposes. I don't feel confortable using the same disk for different computers at the same time (like some of my pals do).
The reason I suspect bios is:
when I was trying to recover from the changed password, I could not boot into safe mode (press F8), isn't that a bios command?. Also the bios has a command to restart if it can't find anything to boot with, and the computer doesn't respond when enter it. When basic bios commands don't work, maybe the code in the bios is funky?
I've tried different versions of vista and 7 (7 was for media comp) and none boot on this computer, but they boot on my other computers. But linux install disk boots. Also, obviously a vista disk successfully booted on this computer for the original loading. So to me, evidence points to a corrupted bios. But of course I hope I am wrong.
If a hacker did get into the bios, if I have to erase and flash and that fails (I hear it fails a lot) the mobo is dead. I think that would qualify as a hacker destroying my pc.

I'm thinking the bios modified to just not read microsoft install disks. I never knew it was possible, but if it is easy for hackers to write into bios...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom