Cannot Assign Drive Letter To Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand both your points, thats why Im not arguing :)

I ran both MaxBlast and SeaTools (as I happened to have copies of both around) and both short tests came up clean.

I found someone else with the same problem, and they used EASEUS Partition Manager (Looks like a rip of Partition Magic 8) so I gave that a shot, but it tells me it couldnt mount the volume. On the plus side, however, it lets me browse the volume, and all my files are still there, I just cant assign a drive letter to get to them! But worst case scenario, Paragon lets me export files from a volume, drive letter or not, so I can always export the 500gb worth of files to somewhere else and recreate the partition, if no one can help me.

So what does Windows Disk Management say about the drive? That it is in RAW format or what? Does it even show it?

It shows the drive, and that it has an NTFS partition (at the bottom, but not in the top pane). Everything is perfect except I cant assign the drive letter.

Sounds like the drive might be corrupted. you may have to delete the partition, create a new on and try to recover the data.

If you can use Linux LiveCD's or something to get some data off there it might be easier on you.

All the data is on the drive, and I can access and copy the data, even from within windows (Paragon lets you explore and export off the drive). I was just hoping to add a drive letter, vs copying 500gb to somewhere. I guess Ill have to export all the files, and format. Thanks for the help anyway!

Used Paragon to move everything off the drive, deleted the partition and created a new one, and the drive letter assigned just fine. So strange! Thanks for the help fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom