Cannot access windows firewall settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinscher

Fully Optimized
When I go into windows security center and click windows firewall, I get an error messages saying: "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings."

Obviously it doesn't say what the problem is but does anybody have any ideas, or suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

My apollogies for being vague, I hate refering to the registry; I meant you can remove the problem by deleating evey instance of it and then the relevant registry keys(unrecomended); this would eliminate the error in most programs, I made a mistake though, I missread your issue; Uninsall and reinstall sevice pack 1(or2)[depending on what you have], run a windows update afterwards, see if anything you need.

I have SP2. Sorry for being so oblivious as to how to do this but, how do I uninstall SP2? I have 3 disks: Windows Media Center Disk 1, Disk 2, " " Updates for version 2005. If I uninstall do I lose my data?

Trying to uninstall SP2 would be a mistake. Sice it is a MCE version from 2005 it already has SP2 built right in from the installation. So it will be even harder since it is built right in.

Try a repair to fix the problem. Insert the first MCE disc. From there say yes to isntall XP. I know it sounds odd. But do it. From there it will perform a scan on your system. Then it will tell you that it has found a previous XP isntall. After that you will have the option to Repair that install with "R". Do it. This should fix hte problme area that you are having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom