Cannot access Hotmail from any browser

Ferguslea

Solid State Member
I can access Hotmail from my old pc using the same internet connection. I have full web access on my main pc EXCEPT to Hotmail. Interestingly I tried using a VPN and CAN access Hotmail. I suspect then that it might be an issue with ports, but I'm no teccie so this is just a guess. If any of you boffins out there can help me figure out a fix for this I would be very grateful!

Best regards,
Ferguslea

Win XP sp3

Hotmail.com is still alive and kicking (just tried it) so I don't think that's the issue. What happens when you go to Hotmail.com, do you get the screen asking for your userid/pw? At what point are you not able to access Hotmail?

Hi thanks for the reply.
Here's what we have;
***Cannot find server name 10.0.0.1, non-existent domain
***Default servers are not available
Default server: Unknown
Address: 10.0.0.1
>Sign In
Server: Unknown
Address: 10.0.0.1
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: dispatch.kahuna.glbdns.microsoft.com
Addresses: 157.55.0.141. 157.55.43.19
Aliases: Sign In

Hope this sheds some light on the problem
Thanks again
Ferguslea.

Update:
When I switched on my PC earlier a message from windows said there is an IP address conflict with another machine / computer? On the network so it looks increasingly likely that your theory may be correct. So now the question is how do I establish for sure that this is the issue and then how do I fix it?

It's great of you guys to give up your time and expertise to help us technically challenged lot, I shall be sure to do the same for others as my knowledge improves.

Thanks a lot
Ferguslea.

goto control panel, open network connections, open properties of network connection, double click tcpip. if both options say obtain address from server then exit all screens.

if not and theres numbers in the boxes, then change the last number assigned as ip address. i'll guess you're ok adding 10 to the last number. assuming you dont have 10 devices on your network and you're running a straight class c subnet. class c subnet shows 255.255.255.0 in subnet mask.

if it was set to obtain automatically, then go back to the network connections screen. double left click the adapter. goto support tab at the top and click repair. this should try to obtain a new address.

It was all set to detect automatically so when I clicked on repair this connection, it came up with the error; "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following actions cannot be completed:
Clearing the ARP cache. Now I really am stumped!

Best regards, Ferguslea.

Flushed the dns and released and renewed the IP - no joy, same problem!

It would seem that my connection keeps dropping then re-establishing a moment later perhaps? Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom