can you "deactivate" windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holydirt

Baseband Member
is there a way to "deactivate" windows on a computer so that you can use the cd key to install windows on a different computer?

open the registry editor, and goto: hkey_local_machine>software>microsoft>windowznt>current version>wpaevents> now look for the 'oobetimer' key and doubleclick it. just change a few of the digits to deacivate the os.

to register xp over again- run> c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

Yea, the above will work with XP. Just to add a little somethin' somethin', you only need to change one of the hex vaules in the above registry string value. Keep in mind though that the above solution will not "go out" to the net and tell Microsoft that you are no longer using that key for that machine. Microsoft's database is totally seperate and they will still receive a duplicate entry when you try and use this in a second machine. You may have to notify them of a system change.

Good Luck!

-Mike

wait, so doing that would not allow me to install xp with the same key on another computer..hm... i'll try e-mailing microsoft

ok, since xp came with me computer, they made me call my computer company instead of asking them. i called and they didnt help at all... please... someone has to of had this happen to them... i need help..

i know your not supposed to install xp on more that one machine, but it let me install 2, then when i formatted the first one and tried reinstalling it it wouldnt let me... i'm guessing it counted that as 3 or something... but how can i get them to "deactivate" one of my xp usesages, i dont even use the other xp computer... there must be a way..

ok look- the cd has no way of knowing how many times you installed xp on different machines. it is somewhat unclear now of just what it is you want to do here.. first you said u wanted to deactivate winxp so u could install to a different machine, correct? follow the instructions i wrote f/you above to de-avtivate. then install xp to your new machine and use the key to activate. your not suppose to install your copy of xp to multiple boxes, however there are plenty of patches aval. that will take care of this 'activation' process for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom