Can we recover data from formatted hard drive? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Can we recover data from formatted hard drive?

I have the 40GB Lap Top Hard Drive (Toshiba MK-4019 GAXB) that was corrupted and all partitions disappeared. Look like that it was resulted from the installation of Win XP Service Pack 2 since I swapped another known to be in good order hard drive and all partitions disappeared. I have no other way but format the hard drive and reinstall Win XP Service Pack 1.

Somebody recommended that I should try to recover the data after reinstallation the O/S. I have formatted and only install new OS but not other programs. Is there anyway that I can try to recover the datas? If there is, which method or program that is efficient in doing so? I used to download some recovery programs but most of them could not recover the large files or cost too much to purchase. I just need the simple program that can do the job.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Can we recover data from formatted hard drive?

First you will need a data recovery program. But that might not fully recover your stuff. Since you have already formatted not all end applicaitons can find the info. You might need a more professional grade applicaiton.

Even then it still might not find it all cause you install a OS which could ahve overwritten some of the info upon install. It is always best to backup your info first. Then re-install. If that isnt a option there are other things that can be done. Repair installs, or trying to fix the problem.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Content Team

What makaveli said is...true , however in "most" cases you can recover your lost files.

Since your computer was formated you should try out a program called "get data back"-go google it.

There are other programs but you can use this as well.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

In most cases yes when you dont write any info to the drive after you erase it.

Since it was a format and fresh isntall there are things to consider. Like the files used to isntall which are erased at the end of the install before the first time the OS fires up. then there is the OS itself which might not be written to the same exact spot.

So again it comes down to where the info was on the hard drive platter. That is what matters most. If the OS or any of hte data used to install the OS was written where data previously was stored that info is now lost. Only high end data recovery programs can even attempt to recover those files.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I suggest you use EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard to recover files.

Download demo version: Free Download Data Recovery, Partition Recovery and System Utilities freeware and shareware.

You can use "AdvancedRecovery" to scan your corrupted drive. After the scan is complete, the lost file will be displayed in Data Recovery Wizard, you can select them and recover them.
NOTICE: never install in on the harddisk you want to recover
Closed Thread