Can we do an upgrade install with Windows Xp Pro (OEM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I got a customer asking me whether or not he can do an upgrade install with an OEM copy of MS WIndows Xp Pro.
Upgrade install meaning that the computer all ready has a copy of Win 98 or Win 2k, and the end user is too lazy to format CD and start from scratch.

Like I have done upgrade installs from using the following :-
* MS Windows Xp Pro (Retail)
* MS Windows Xp Pro Upgrade (Duh...!!!)
* MS Windows Xp Pro Corp
* MS Windows Xp Pro (Company MS Action Pack Subscription)

But I have never done upgrade install from an MS Windows OEM CD.

Now I know that according the the MS EULA, it should not be possible. But I am asking whether it physically possible or not. EI, you get a little message saying that "You can not install here as there is an operating system all ready installed on the hard drive. Please purchase MS Windows XP Pro Upgrade.

Also while I am on the subject (and I think this is what my customer is trying to do), if I get some one buying a notebook with Windows Xp Home (Ie, Compaq Persario that comes standard with Xp Home), but he really want Windows Xp Pro this notebook. Can i use the Windows XP Pro (OEM) to upgrade the computer from XP Home to XP Pro.

XP is designed to upgrade over Win98, Win8SE and WinME although I'm not sure about 2000 or even XP Pro over Home, or XP version 2002 over 2001, but I think you can replace OS's by putting XP in their directory
the upgrade CD will look for Windows 98, Win98SE or WinME on the hard drive, and if one is not found will ask you for a 98... cbf typing them OS CD

You shouldnt have any trouble upgrading/Installing XP even its an OEM product. As long as you have the serial number (and maybe have to activate XP) you should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom