Can a "Stopped Working" message be a false positive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigOto

Beta member
Sometimes things (last time it was Premiere Elements 7, known to be unstable at times) just "Stop Working" randomly without warning, rather than appearing to freeze up completely, stop responding, and then giving the message like normal. It can be very annoying, but it usually only occurs with this program and occasionally on Firefox. I think I may have a virus but I have run virus scans and they don't detect anything. Is this possible?

Most of the time when this occurs it isnt due to a virus. It is mainly due to the system not being able to use the program at that instant. If you let it sit the system should recover and allow you to use the program after a minute or less. Sometimes it is just easier to close out the program and reopen it to get it working.

It could be due to various things. The most common one would be you try to do something with the program before it finishes to load and the program is still working on loading up. That can cause the program to start eating up to many resources cause it is trying to do to much and ends up crashing. Sometimes it is just a fluke. There is no real way to know exactly what is happening. The only thing i can suggest is to just close the app, reopen it and dont try to do anything until it fully opens.

It doesn't just freeze, but the "Stopped Working" green ribbon of death message comes up, seemingly out of the blue as opposed to coming up after the program freezes for a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom