Can someone steal my XP Pro product key/license #?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi again everyone!!!

First and very big thank you for all the help each of you have offered me. Guess what! I am now on my new rig that many of you helped me to build and it is awesome with a capital "A+". So thanks again!

I just put my old build up for sale on Craig's List and now I am receiving lots and lots of emails from interested parties.

Well, here is my question: Can someone steal my XP Pro product key or XP Pro license number by reading something on my old build? [I plan on leaving the existing XP Pro on the old build because I have a special corporate disc that permits me several XP Pro builds.

I noticed that when I right click My Computer, a wonderful number shows up as well as my name under heading labeled: "Registered to:"

Can anyone give me any clues as to if it is safe to sell a computer without compromising my XP Pro license key?

I would be totally bummed if someone lifted my license key, used it to install lots of OS's, then Microsoft would shut me down.

Can anyone help me to know the answer on this issue?

Have a great day everyone and thanks for giving us such awesome help here!

We appreciate you!

It is me, Not-So-Fast-Freddy!

Yes, they can use some software to get the key.

That said...I think its unlikely they would, because they wouldn't know it was a multi-install XP key.

Yes they can use several applications to steal your serial and use it for installs. Wipe the drive clean with KillDisk. Make sure you note that you are selling it without a OS.

Or just sell it with a pirated copy of xp. ;)

There's no way to tell. Pirated copies pass WGA.

Wow!

I never would have guessed this was possible! I suppose it shows how little I really do know about most of this building computers business!

Ok, thank you for the insight. Now I think it would be best to change my mind and not sell it on Craig's List.

I think I will give it to one of my relatives here instead.

Thank you again guys!

I'd be totally lost with you!

Thanks for saving me lots of time, embarrassments, confusion, and bewilderment!

I appreciate each and everyone here!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Bye for now.

Little by little...

Freddy's-Gettin'-Faster-Thanks-To-You!

Sarcasm?; building computers and manipulating sofware are as different as religion and science. As to your question, yes it can be stolen, yes it can be worked around, cd keys for operating systems are reusable for xp based on the package you bought, the most basic can be reactivated many times, to activate it on multiple machines requires a deferent liscencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom