Can someone help me understand how to back up my HD/operating system please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi again everyone!

I keep reading about the importance of backing up my HD/operating system and I would like to do it ASAP.

I am not sure exactly how to do it.

Here are some of my system specs, back up options that I know of, and other thoughts:

I have my Windows XP Pro on a Maxtor SATA 300GB Partitioned HD. I partitioned 100 GB's for the Operating System [I know, it will probably never need that much...and it is showing up as only 9.3 gig at this moment.]

On the other portion of the partition I keep my programs and even though there is 200 gigs, I am only using 14 gigs worth of programs.

I also have a Maxtor SATA 500 GB for main storage...it only has about 50 GB's of files right now.

Well, I suppose I can use either HD to use for back up and in my simple mind, I think the best would be to use the larger HD.

Another option I was thinking about is to use an external HD, but my budget is very, very limited.

One last option I thought of: purchase one more internal HD and also put in my computer case [even though I am using the ULTRA Microfly Case, there is room for one more HD if I place it in the extra DVD burner bay. [There are 4 SATA slots on the MB and many more SATA power plugs from my PS available too].

Last, I am not sure which software to use to back up my OS. I noticed on many posts here that some people mentioned using XP Pro Back up. Is that ok?

Also, I have Nero Ultimate 7 version and there is a program called Backitup.

I am not sure if I should use that or the XP pro backup utility.

Ok, can someone help me who knows the pros and cons of each issue?

And can someone give me some good advice as to which way to proceed?

I really appreciate everyone here. So many people have helped me in so many ways!

Thanks again!

Freddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom