Can this old computer be of any use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have (luckily) a 7-year old computer, pentium 3, 866 MHZ, 256mb Sdram.

I was wondering if there are any fun things I can do with it. I'm reformatting it right now with the Windows XP Pro OS. But maybe I might cancel that out and put the Ubuntu Linux, hoping that it will run faster on that right?

I'm going to put this computer on the network and use it as the storage for downloads, movies, and music in iTunes. So all the computers in my network (four computers so far).

Other than that, are there any other ideas? Will a 7-year old computer be prone to failure and such? Meaning I shouldn't store/rely to put my date on that computer because the harddrive might crash?

Will spending a few dollars to increase the harddrive/memory and such be worth it or is it just better to buy a new desktop?

Well, you can use that computer for Windows 98 and folding for the forum. Just have it sitting in your closet, turned on all the time, hooked up to the net, finding a cure for cancer!

Yes you can still install Linux and do folding. Just go with Linux, how will you get a 98 disc? No need to buy it, Linux is free. You can turn it into an FTP server for file storage also, the possibilities are probably endless if you put your mind into it.

I would use it as a hacking box! but storage server would also be good...I would worry about keeping your data on there...the hard drives are indepenet of the machine..so say you place a nice 400GB hard drive in there that was new..it would last as long as it would in the newest machine you could build for $4,000! simply because a drive is a drive...they all die sometime ;)

Do all hard drives support any motherboard or what? If not, how do I know what harddrive my motherboard supports?

For a 7-year old PC, it probably supports IDE drives. You could install a large HD on it and use it a web server, or as a music jukebox :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom