Can i use win 7 win 8?

Battal Gazi

In Runtime
My pc is old. I want to make a craziness and install win7 or win8 to this old pc. Now i have xp.

It is

2.8 ghz p4,1.5 gb ram. 128 mb i think gpu or 64. Hgarddisk is large enough. So this is a suicide , should i go on with xp? But it is very slow i know it is not because of software but maybe this can make faster. I am using this without formatting for 3-4 years. 1-2 years ago it was fast, i could watch videos and play games. Now it ishard to do this.

Nah, Win7 or 8 will work. Win7 you will probably have a better experience because you can turn down some of the graphic features like aero, put a classic start bar, ect. I'm not sure if you can do that in 8 or not, and 8 is a bit more graphic intense with the metro (yes i'm still calling it that) interface.

Nah, Win7 or 8 will work. Win7 you will probably have a better experience because you can turn down some of the graphic features like aero, put a classic start bar, ect. I'm not sure if you can do that in 8 or not, and 8 is a bit more graphic intense with the metro (yes i'm still calling it that) interface.

I have max 10-15 processes in task manager, the biggest firefox exe 500 k %50 cpu. I like xp but maybe win 8 can be better with every graphic module disabled.

I think windows 7 would be better, there is much less going on, my mother has it on her low spec netbook and the tile system doesnt work too well and even in desktop mode its..... idk how to explain it but it feels clunky.
the netbook is an amd 11 watt APU and 2GB RAM. thats all i remember.

You can speed up your pc with some easy steps.
Uninstalling programs you never use
Use CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download and clean the registry and old files.
and use Disk Defrag - Best Free Defrag Software For Your Hard Drive . Defrag and Optimize
give that a try if you like and tell us if it runs any better.

But it is very slow i know it is not because of software but maybe this can make faster.

If the PC is what you consider slow now, going with anything else will not make it any faster. By default Win7 has far more processes running for all that it has. A clean install can have upwards of 60 processes running at any time. The same is for Win8. That is just Windows itself, not including any programs. So your not going to gain any speed and could possibly make it a tad slower by going with an upgraded version of Windows.

I would highly suggest you run the upgrade wizard that they offer and see if you are even compatible. But in all honesty, you wont see a performance boost.

Performance of Windows 8 and Windows 7 should be very similar, Windows 8 may even be noticeably faster, specifically in everyday tasks. It is certainly faster at startup and shutdown and return from sleep.

Bear in mind that Windows 8 requires a processor with support for NX bit, which Intel refers to as XD bit, and which was not supported across all Pentium 4 processors. You can determine if your processor supports NX by running CoreInfo, a utility produced by Windows Sysinternals. Download the zip file, extract it, and then use the Command Prompt to run the exe. For example if the file is extracted onto the desktop:
Code:
C:/Users/Username/Desktop/CoreInfo.exe
If there is a star next to NX, your processor is compatible. All Pentium 4 processors featured the other requirements of SSE2 and PAE.

As KSoD mentions, it is a very good idea if you are considering upgrading to run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant or the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to determine if your system is compatible.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet

Your setup will run Windows 7 easily, but you will need to go through and disable a bunch of services and background tasks to cope with only 1.5GB of RAM. On top of that, you will need to use the classic start menu and disable a bunch of the flashy visuals if your GPU is really that old. Other than that, you should have no issues as resource management on 7 is better than XP.

Back
Top Bottom