can I make a partition without useing Partition Magic ? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

as I can understand the likeliness of losing data in my scenario is 100% unless using partition magic.

I guess the same probability apples in your case...

The Steps to minimze the risk is to do backup !! :-(

Any one wanna add something ?? ( correct me if Im wrong ) !

Old 10-25-2006, 02:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

yep if that Gparted does the same as disk management and you only have 1 huge partition then you need partition magic or something similar.

same with installing Linux, it does have a partitioning tool but not sure it allows for resizing so still stuck with 1 partition that would get deleted.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

So far, Partition Magic has never messed up when I resized my Windows partition.

I highly suggest you back up your data, though. You may not be able to login anymore, this never happend to me when resizing the partition, but it happend when I restored an image on a partition that wasn't the same size as the original partition. Windows showed an error with something like "Hardware changed,...".
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 10-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Gparted is not the same as disk management, your alternative to Partition Magic is Gparted which is free and should get the job done just as good as PM8 on NTFS/FAT32 and relative Linux file system.

Closed Thread