can I make a partition without useing Partition Magic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustafa_158

Baseband Member
can I make a partition without using Partition Magic ???

is it possible to create a volume or logical partition through Windows without using a third Party tools like Partition Magic ??

can I make it through the command prompt ??? .. I'm willing to make a backup drive like 1-2 GB. & I don't want to format or reinstall windows in order to do that.

Thanks

baronvongogo said:
using disk management means you can only create a partition if you have unused space? otherwise the most you can do is format correct?

You can delete, create or format partitions. You can make a primary partition "active".

yes but if you have 1 partition for windows but takes up all your harddrive, you can create a new partition as disk management doesnt allow merging or resizing does it? its only if you have unallocated space?

baronvongogo said:
yes but if you have 1 partition for windows but takes up all your harddrive, you can create a new partition as disk management doesnt allow merging or resizing does it? its only if you have unallocated space?

You can't resize or merge with disk management. So your only option is to delete the existing partition and create two new ones; or use a third party program, like Partition Magic.

An add-on question to the original one. I want to partion my drive to dual boot Linux, but I'm worried about my data.

My drive is 100G at 50% full, and so my data would need to be moved to the shrunkin NTFS partion.

Whats the likeliness my windows files will be damaged in partitioning........

What steps can be taken to minimze the risk?

Thanks.... I'm sure the OP might want to know this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom