can i install windows from a copied cd onto a licenced pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
i have 2 identical 700m laptops
one came with a recovery cd other didnt.
both have XP home SP2 originally.
both have licence stickers on the bottom.
can i download a copy of windows XP home SP3 and use the valid licence?
that way i dont have to download and install SP3 later.

or can i use the recovery cd from one to install windows on other using valid code?

I'm pretty sure the OEM recovery disk from the other computer will work fine, because they are both made by the same manufacturer. Also, if you use NLite, you can make an identical disk to the recovery one and slipstream SP3 onto it.

Correct me if i'm wrong. but the serial key on the laptops are OEM, meaning they will only work with the OEM install disk. So downloading one off the net would not work. Sort of like a volume license.

If the license key was originally for XP SP2, it will only work with an OEM SP2 install disk. You can't use that code with an SP3 disk.

You'll have to either use your recovery disk, or download an XP SP2 OEM installation iso. Also, if the code is an OEM key, it won't work with a retail version, either.

I would say that if it was a serial for XP SP1 then you couldnt use it for a SP2 install. But that is not true for SP2 and SP3. I have personally used a serial that was issued to me in 2007 with a install disk that has had SP3 slipstreamed. The serial was accepted and activated with no issues.

Correct me if i'm wrong. but the serial key on the laptops are OEM, meaning they will only work with the OEM install disk. So downloading one off the net would not work. Sort of like a volume license.
It should still work. As long as its an OEM version of the disc and not a retail version of the disc. I've done it before.

I would say that if it was a serial for XP SP1 then you couldnt use it for a SP2 install. But that is not true for SP2 and SP3. I have personally used a serial that was issued to me in 2007 with a install disk that has had SP3 slipstreamed. The serial was accepted and activated with no issues.

It should still work; pretty sure that I've done it before. As long as you have a disc higher SP than what the sticker is (i.e. SP1 sticker, or no SP at all I believe even, and a SP3 disc).

so by slipstreaming you mean
i copy the original recovery cd and edit it with the NLite.
add the SP3 to it and burn it on a cd and install from it.

never done that. i attempted few times to make a backup copy with ghost and i have about 4 of them for all my computers lol but never end up using the backups

raver, what kind of laptop do you have ?
If it's dell,hp,compaq,or gateway their xp or vista keys won't work with a normal or regular oem disk also doesn't mattere wether you have sp1 or sp2.
99% of the time xp or vista keys only work with the manufacturers license OS, had to find out the hard way after talking to dell and hp for about a hour and looking online for about 8 hours straight one night for the recovery disc

raver, what kind of laptop do you have ?
If it's dell,hp,compaq,or gateway their xp or vista keys won't work with a normal or regular oem disk also doesn't mattere wether you have sp1 or sp2.
99% of the time xp or vista keys only work with the manufacturers license OS, had to find out the hard way after talking to dell and hp for about a hour and looking online for about 8 hours straight one night for the recovery disc

Regular OEM discs do work on HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Dell, etc. I've used Vista/XP OEM discs (non-manufacturer) before and they work fine. So I'd say 99% of the time they do work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom