Can I install Windows 7 on one SSD, and Windows 8 on another and use both?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi.

Ok, been playing with Windows 8 since the release version.

I am presently very happy with my Windows 7 rig.

I keep looking for greener #8 pastures, but many people tell me the #8 pastures neither look greener or taste greener...

So, that kind a makes me a little apprehensive.

But I can read about the great 7/8 debate on other posts....not here please....

Here is what I would like to do if possible:

Install Windows 7 on one SSD, Windows 8 on the other.

And now some questions:

1. Is it even possible?
2. Will I need to install all my programs on each SSD, or will each OS pull from a third SSD with all the programs?
3. Need I know any special tricks or specific methods to set this up?
4. Does anyone even recommend I choose this route or does someone have a better idea?

Ok, I hope I did not kick the Windows 7/8 debate hornet's nest.

I simply want to know if it is possible to have both 7 & 8 on my computer and if it will work reliably.

Have mercy of me please...

Soar

1. Completely but they can't be booted at the same time - i.e. to start Windows 8 you have to shut down Windows 7 and then select Windows 8 at the boot menu.

2. Everything will have to be installed separately for each OS. With the occasional exception (Steam is the only one I know of), there's no 'shared pool' of programs kinda thing.

3. Not really, though make sure you install Windows 7 first, then Windows 8.

4. It's a good route when you want to have both OSs available to you but there is one issue, which is that you'll get sick of switching between and slowly start to use one more than the other. This will increase until you're using one of them 95% of the time and then you'll decide to dump the other to use the space for something else.

1. Completely but they can't be booted at the same time - i.e. to start Windows 8 you have to shut down Windows 7 and then select Windows 8 at the boot menu.

2. Everything will have to be installed separately for each OS. With the occasional exception (Steam is the only one I know of), there's no 'shared pool' of programs kinda thing.

3. Not really, though make sure you install Windows 7 first, then Windows 8.

4. It's a good route when you want to have both OSs available to you but there is one issue, which is that you'll get sick of switching between and slowly start to use one more than the other. This will increase until you're using one of them 95% of the time and then you'll decide to dump the other to use the space for something else.

Yami,

Ok, thanks for the clarity. May I ask why I need to install Windows 7 first?

And should I install the programs for each OS on the SSD with the OS on it?

I'm doing this right now for reviews. It's doable, but annoying.

Thanks PPM. Ok, why do you find it annoying and and what type of reviews are you doing on it?

Hardware reviews, like the RAM kit I have.

It's annoying because I do everything on Windows 7 as I prefer it over 8. So I do benches, jot down whatever I need, then have to reboot and hop in 7 to make charts and type up stuff. If for any reason I might make a mistake and need to redo a bench I have to reboot back into 8.
It's just annoying to constantly go back and forth for whatever reason.

I can if I wanted to, but since I prefer to use my powerhouse machine for my work and have to use it for reviews then the need to go back and forth is there. That is of course if Patriot wouldn't mind me reviewing a quad channel kit on an old i5 750 :p

You could install windows 7 on one drive, then disconnect that drive and install windows 8 on the second drive. Connect both drives back again and when you boot up your pc during POST, you should get an option via the bios to select a drive to boot to ( This is usually one of the F keys, F9 or F10, F11...ect) You can check your bios manual to see which F key you need to tap to get the drive selection.
With this method, each drive will have it's own boot loader so if something goes wrong with one o.s. it won't affect the others boot order and it does not matter which o.s. you load first. Either way you choose to dual boot you still need to select which o.s. or drive. You can only do this if you have two hard drives

Just another method of dual booting

Of course this will do nothing to help PP Mguire, except getting another power house pc

Last edited:
You could install windows 7 on one drive, then disconnect that drive and install windows 8 on the second drive. Connect both drives back again and when you boot up your pc during POST, you should get an option via the bios to select a drive to boot to ( This is usually one of the F keys, F9 or F10, F11...ect) You can check your bios manual to see which F key you need to tap to get the drive selection.
With this method, each drive will have it's own boot loader so if something goes wrong with one o.s. it won't affect the others boot order and it does not matter which o.s. you load first. Either way you choose to dual boot you still need to select which o.s. or drive. You can only do this if you have two hard drives

Just another method of dual booting

Of course this will do nothing to help PP Mguire, except getting another power house pc

Joe,

Thanks for tip. I was actually concerned about placing my Windows 7 system at risk if I installed Windows 8 and then uninstalled it.

You have solved my problem now.

I hope to install Windows 8 Professional during our Thanksgiving Break. Now I must remember to disconnect the Windows 7 SSD, install the Windows 8 on the newly connected SSD, then plug both back in and choose which way to go after each reboot.

Thanks for making it so clear. Quick question: Have you performed this operation on your own system?

Soar

Joe,

Thanks for tip. I was actually concerned about placing my Windows 7 system at risk if I installed Windows 8 and then uninstalled it.

You have solved my problem now.

I hope to install Windows 8 Professional during our Thanksgiving Break. Now I must remember to disconnect the Windows 7 SSD, install the Windows 8 on the newly connected SSD, then plug both back in and choose which way to go after each reboot.

Thanks for making it so clear. Quick question: Have you performed this operation on your own system?

Soar

I've done it before, and also have something similar on my laptop. 2 HDD's in my laptop, each with 2 OS's (was due to size limitations of my original drive, and then added a secondary drive). Win7 Pro + Ubuntu 10.04 on the first, and Win 7 HP + BackTrack 5 R2 on the second.

Back
Top Bottom