Can I install Vista with this disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerlover

Beta member
HI.

Okay here's the story: My Dad got a new PC, but it was really slow with vista. So he rang the computer company, and told them that he wanted XP. So they gave him the XP disk. He un-installed Vista, and got XP on his system. So then he had two disks, the XP one, And a "Vista pre-installation disk" so, I asked him if I could have the "Vista pre-installation disk" and he gave it to me. So I was just wonderin: could I install this on my comp, or will it just not work?

ThX.

That depends? Is it a full disc or jsut a repair disc? Does it have all drivers for all systems or ones specifically for that system?

That depends? Is it a full disc or jsut a repair disc? Does it have all drivers for all systems or ones specifically for that system?

Alls i know is that it says on the disk: 'for system build, use only for preinstallation'

and it is called 'Windows vista OEM preinstallation disk'

So to me its sounds like a disc for a specific system. Which means that it might not have all the drivers needed for your system. So you will want to have those handy. GFX, ethernet, modem, things like that.

Other than that i dont see why you cant. I used Dell XP discs on non-Dell PC's before.

Hello,

I agree.

Also, there's a possibility that you may run into problems with drivers (where setup tries to install drivers for devices which are not present). Though to be honest, I'm not sure if this would actually be a problem.

Also note that you'll need the Vista product key from your Dad's PC.

It says Part No XXXXXXXXXXXX on the disk so is that the product number?

Thx for the replies

EDIT: So what is the difference between preinstallation and normal instalation?

The key might be ona sticker on the CASE of the other PC but the key wont work it wont register as its a different CPU+mobo

The key might be ona sticker on the CASE of the other PC but the key wont work it wont register as its a different CPU+mobo

The Vista product key should work, so long as it is only being used on one machine at any one time.

And yes, you'll find the Vista product key on the Certificate Of Authenticity label which is usually stuck to the computer case of the original PC.

The product key will work. It might come up with a error upon activation saying this key has already been used because of the fact it was already installed and activated once already. Just call M$ and tell them you had to format and re-install and they will help you reactivate.

Yes it worked on XP and it still works on Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom