Can I find logs of login times? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2006, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Can I find logs of login times?

I want to know if there is a way to check the times a computer has been logged into. I need to know if someone logged into this certain computer last night at a certain time, is there any way to do that?

CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4 GHz
Cooler: Cooler Master V8
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: EVGA 560 Ti
HDD: Cruicial M4 SSD 128 GB
HDD 2: WD VelociRaptor 300 GB
PSU: Corsair TX650w
Case: Corsair 600T Graphite Series
Old 04-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s
Send a message via MSN to office politics

Much more common in our labs are standalone (not part of a domain) Windows 2000 and Windows XP computers. The procedure for these computers (based on "Help and Support Center" from Windows XP):

Log on as an administrator

Click Start, click Run, type mmc /a (note the space between mmc and /a), and then click OK.

On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in, and then click Add.

Under Snap-in, click Group Policy, and then click Add.

In Select Group Policy Object, click Local Computer, click Finish, click Close, and then click OK.

At this point, you might want to save this console for further use. Note you can add multiple snap-in and manage multiple computers from this console. I find it rather useful myself.

On the left hand side, navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Audit Policy

On the right hand side, double-click "Audit Logon Events"

Check the boxes for Success and Failure, click OK

You can close the Microsoft Management Console, though you might want to snoop through the other possible settings first.
Note that if your computer is part of a domain, the settings for the domain take precedence over those for the local computer, so you won't be able to set this yourself -- discuss it with your friendly domain administrator.
Closed Thread