can i downgrade from vista to xp using an "XP Upgrade" CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronxblaza117

In Runtime
i just got a computer for my business and of course it comes with Vista. i have a XP upgrade CD and tried to install it but did not work. I want to know if theres a work around for this? i have key and everything

Hello,

You can not use a Upgrade CD to install XP on a Vista machine. Vista is newer and will not allow you to do such things. You will need a older version of Windows to accomplish this task. Not a newer.

Cheers,
Mak

Mak is totally on key with this. You CANNOT do what you are trying. For one XP/Vista won't let you, and for two it is unethical. You are trying to install a full version of an OS w/ an upgraded CD (for an upgraded price). You need a CD w/ the full version and do a fresh install. While i've seen there are some methods of 'installing' XP over Vista (you trick the OS into thinking the current version is the older version) you would still need the full CD key.

While I am Microsoft partial :), Vista is MUCH more dynamic than XP and unless you are running into a specific problem please don't go uninstalling OS's because you've heard from friends that Vista sucks. In an office environment Vista blows XP away w/ admin permissions, included malware, windows defender, parental controls (which allow you to block websites), time logs of user activites... i could go on and on. Within a business environment from an administrator standpoint Vista is far better.

Sorry, just my opinion stuck within this post.... Long story short you can't do it. Buy a full version if you can find it (they stopped/stop selling them soon). Funny because i'm in an office environment (small business) that i'm trying to get 10 computers upgraded to Vista, and you are trying to downgrade.

Hello,

Just to touch up on a finer point made by Lex. He is right. OEM versions of XP are not to be sold anymore after June 30, 2008. You can still buy Retail versions for a bit longer. So you would have to buy a Retail version now before they stop selling those as well.

Cheers,
Mak

thanks for the input, went ahead and got myself a XP retail cd. went ahead and downloaded all drivers for the xp version of my dell desktop and have on flashdrive ready. formating HD right now actually. one question, dell has a space saved on the HD for recovery, can i delete that now that i will be installing XP?

Hello,

Yes you can if you do not ever plan on using Vista again. As that is your only option to put Vista back on since Dell does not provide Vista Recovery Disks. You might want to burn yourself a copy of the discs using Dell's instructions to keep for later use if you wish to updgrade at some point in the future.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom