Can I delete the page file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I have heard and read that putting your page file on another hard drive will help. I have done that for several reasons but now I want to know how I can or if I can delete the left over page file that is on the c drive where it originated. I have a page file for hdd F in place. This is vista os.

Not to jack the thread but I was wondering the same thing... however as a new Vista user I'm unsure as to where I can turn it off at. (linux guy here)

Will it decrease your performance to shut off the page file?

Setting it to no page file does not clear out the file. I had over 4gb remaining until I put a minimum in the boxes 16 and 50. I tried all the other ways and none worked other than this.

Yes, I hit set. I got it to work but only by putting the minimum of 16mb it would let me put and 50 for the max. It cleared out the file in C to only 16mb.

I have heard and read that putting your page file on another hard drive will help. I have done that for several reasons but now I want to know how I can or if I can delete the left over page file that is on the c drive where it originated. I have a page file for hdd F in place. This is vista os.
This is only true if it is a separate physical drive. If it is only one hard drive that has been partitioned into two drive letters, you're better off keeping it on the partition with your Windows install. The whole reason for this is that with a separate physical drive it takes less time for a separate drive head to move to the place it needs to read the data.

About your question, though. You can set your computer to have the page file on your F: drive. Then, just to be safe, make sure all running programs are closed just to be sure that you aren't using virtual memory. Then go ahead and delete the page file on your C: drive, and reboot. If for some reason the computer is still set up to use virtual memory on the C: drive, it will create a new page file. If not, you'll have your memory back.

How can I adjust the page file?
When looking for help for this, the correct term is Virtual Memory. In Vista, open the Control Panel. In the Control Panel, click on the words "System and Maintenance." In that screen, click the word "System." Then on the left side click "Advanced System Settings." In the window that comes up, in the Advanced tab under Performance, click "Settings." A new window will come up and you will click the Advanced tab. Here you will see Virtual Memory. Click the "Change" button. Uncheck the "Automatically manage..." box and you will be able to manually set it. There's really not much reason to not allow Windows to automatically do it, though.

Not to jack the thread but I was wondering the same thing... however as a new Vista user I'm unsure as to where I can turn it off at. (linux guy here)

Will it decrease your performance to shut off the page file?

Don't turn it off...

Vista wants the page file, and so do many programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom