can i boot from old OS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennl

Baseband Member
when i installed windows xp, i never uninstalled win98... is there anyway to boot from win98?

Windows xp formats then installs.
Unless you told it to do differently, then it will not boot.

as Blitze105 said it formats the C: drive if you boot from CD after the BIOS. If you installed it by booting 98 and then upgrading then you will find you can. Unless. you remove XP (from add remove programs) and install a fresh copy but chaning the name of the windows of XP to windows1 or xp then when you boot you will have the option to dual boot. but dont format the drive as NTFS as 98 wont work.

okay thanks guys. i vaguely remember some warning message during the xp install about not removing the old OS first. and i *think* the first time i booted i had to select which OS from which to boot, but i was doing so much computer stuff at that time, my memory's kind of fuzzy.

I have a dual boot drive and it display's what os i want to boot from.

okay thanks guys. i vaguely remember some warning message during the xp install about not removing the old OS first. and i *think* the first time i booted i had to select which OS from which to boot, but i was doing so much computer stuff at that time, my memory's kind of fuzzy.

I can chane my settings for the boot display in win XP, Don't know if it will work for you as i have two partitions. I guess it's worth a try though.

Go to Control Panel>System>Advanced Tab>and Click on the Settings Button under Start Up And Recovery.

You can then select your options from there, Hope this helps.

Drworm2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom