Can anyone confirm this for me? [Installed Win7 on a computer, upgrading HDD]

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFargle

Linux / HPC / K8s SME
Staff member
One of my friends is concerned about the activation of his copy of Windows 7. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Question:
A while ago i built a pc myself and i stalled the OEM System Builder Pack of windows7 on my hard drive. But recently I'm planning to buy a solid slate drive
So my question is pretty much can i can install the same windows7 with same activation keys on different hard drive on the same computer. If i can i will just simply reinstall my window on the SSD. If not, is there any ways to solve this problem so i dont have to buy another window?

Answer:
Yes, you can reinstall OEM on the same computer with a different hard drive after deleting the old installation. You can't move OEM to a different computer. You may need to call to activate.

Call Microsoft Using Manual Phone Activation
If you are currently installing Windows - at the Enter Your Product Key page, do not enter your key and uncheck "Automatically Activate When Online" then click OK/Next to finish the installation.

If you have trouble activating Windows 7 open the Windows Activation Wizard while in Windows 7 to obtain a phone number to call Microsoft and activate Windows:
1. When you reach the desktop click Start, then in the Search box type: slui.exe 4
2. Press Enter on your Keyboard
3. Select your Country.
4. Select the Phone Activation option, then call the number given and hold for a real person.
Can I reinstall my windows 7 on a new hard drive? - Microsoft Answers

I could have told you yes. It is the SAME machine. now if he were to try and take that hard drive out of that machine and use it in another machine, like the topic of the thread a few posts down, that is NOT legal and cant be done.

The fact that it is staying in the same machine makes all of the difference. Changing hard drives means nothing. It doesnt void the OEM license till you upgrade the Mother Board!

I see. This will be good news to him :tongue: thanks for the answer.

I was a little skeptical because removing the battery out of a laptop I worked on a while ago would cause Windows to go into that genuine advantage mode. Putting it back in and restarting made it go away... it was a little weird :tongue:

It happens from time to time where the system thinks there is a hardware change and will ask to be re-validated. It should go through as long as there is no change to the mother board. That is the only time a OEM copy will not re-validate. Since that is the only circumstance that Microsoft has put on their license. Basically a new mother board = new copy of Windows must be purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom