Can access apache locally through server but not anywhere else on network

Akaash

Solid State Member
hi there,

So I set up an instance of Apache on the port 8081 on a server machine. I can access it fine from IE on the machine itself. However when I try to access it from my personal workstation (or any other network pc for that matter), it doesn't recognize the IP address in the browser. The strange thing is I can ping the server machine...

(Running windows server 2012 and windows 7 professional)
(I obviously can't telenet to it though)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

(ps if this is too vague I'm sure I can take some time to make a screencast! Let me know anything you need from me)

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Apache so I'm afraid that I won't be of much help, but since no one has replied I figured I'd toss these few things out there:

1. Did you try appending the port number to the IP address in the address bar? ex. http://192.168.0.1:8081

2. Have you tried turning off Windows Firewall for both machines? Can you ping the workstation from the server?

3. If you are using IE, maybe try running in compatibility mode or changing certain security settings. Maybe try a different browser.

4. Have you tried using a different port, maybe port 80 or 443?

If none of these help then I am at a loss. I'm assuming that static IPs in the same subnet are correctly set and everything is connected properly.

hey there!

Silly me, yeah the firewall was still up. Thanks DistraughtSysop!

Back
Top Bottom