Caller ID question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara33

Daemon Poster
I have tried several caller id over PC software programs and seem to be having issues with them. When I receive a call I receive a message of unknown as to who is calling on my PC but it tells me the correct info on my phone hand set where the info is listed.

I assume there is not an issue with the software so I assume it must be with the modem itself. Do any of you guys agree with me on this?

thx

Of course we are going to agree. Cause it is a problem with the software.

No software. The software is not working properly. Again i point you to one of the many other threads that you have about this where i try to point out all the flaws with trying to do this. There is so much that has to go right for this to happen.

The main thing i see being the problem, is that the PC is not registering that you are receiving a call. But in order for the PC to do that it would have to pick up the call. If that happened you would get that lovely noise you hear when trying to dial into AOL or those dialup things.

PC's are not meant to be callerID's. Not with cable and DSL. Even with this software that "works" there is still so much going on that you have to figure out and get setup that it just isnt going to work right.

First you have to make sure that the PC knows you are receiving a call. So you have to test that. Then you have to make sure that the PC can still use the internet and not think that it is on a dialup connection. Then you have to make sure on top of that, that the PC knows NOT to answer the phone but to just report the information that comes with the call.

There is not going to be a easy way to do it and really there is going to be even less people on here that are going to be able to help. Very few people use callerID on PC, even less have researched it. A few are on dialup but almost all dailup places now have the report feature built into the software.

May I ask what software are using ?
Have you tried using this:
Fax / Telephony / SMS Software | Avanquest Software

I've used classic phone tools before I stop using xp and the caller ID seem's to be pretty accurate.
Also what kind of a phone modem are using is it something current or old ?
If it's old and has some minor quirks that could be something you should look into also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom