caller ID over PC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara33

Daemon Poster
Ok Guys, here is my question. I have vonage as my phone service and I would like to get caller ID over my PC even though vonage is my provider.

My setup is a regular phone line from verizon (that is a different phone number) connected to my westell DSL modem. The modem connects to my router. My vonage phone line then connects from my router to my phone.

I plan on putting a dialup modem inside my PC. In the back of my router there are 2 ports for phone, 1 which connects to my vonage phone. If I connect a line from the other phone port on the back of my router to the internal dialup modem on my PC will I be able to use phonetray and get caller ID over my PC?

If someone could let me know this I would really appreciate it.

thx

I doubt it. I think that is just for a 2nd phone not for allowing your PC to get callerID on screen. This is something you will have to take up with Vonage. See if it is even possible for their service to do this. Caller ID on a phone is one thing, but to a PC is something totally different. You have to contact them.

Mak, I plan on using phonetrayfree caller ID software on my computer. I found this on their web site:

" Q. Does PhoneTray work with Vonage or other VoIP service?

A. PhoneTray Free works with VoIP line as with any other phone line. You will need to connect your VoIP line to your regular (dial-up) modem. You will need a regular (dial-up) modem connected to your phone line in addition to DSL/Cable modem in order to use PhoneTray. Most computers have internal dial-up modems, look for a phone line jack on the back of your computer. If you have dial-up modem, connect it to the Vonage phone line. You will be able use your DSL/Cable modem for internet as you do now, and PhoneTray will be able to process incoming phone calls using dial-up modem."

This is what I think I need to do so if you or someone could tell me if my set up sounds correct plz let me know.

Right now I have my dsl modem connected to my vonage linksys router. Where the RJ11 comes out of my router I plan on putting a splitter with the single end going into the router and the dual end having one end going into my phone and the other end going into the internal modem chipset.

What do you all think?

thx

That makes no sense.

You will need to connect your VoIP line to your regular (dial-up) modem.

If you did that then it isnt VoIP. At that point you would need to use your PC to answer and make calls. Kinda defeats the purpose.

You will need a regular (dial-up) modem connected to your phone line in addition to DSL/Cable modem in order to use PhoneTray.

What? So basically you need a 2 in 1 converter to get both lines going into your phone line wall jack? That would be the only way to connect BOTH the modem and the DSL Line to the wall jack.

What PhoneTray is saying doesnt make any sense to me. You will have to contact them. Cause their directions are not well spelled out at all.

Yes, I just sent them an email on how I plan on setting it up asking if that was the correct way. By what I described does that sound like it would be the correct way if this does truly work?

I also asked vonage if this setup would work but they weren't even sure. I asked them if they have even tried it and they said no. Go figure. The techie said the setup sounds right and he was the one that found that info on phonetray's site.

So does it phyically sound like my setup is correct? I know I have to try it to actually know. I was just curious if it sounds like if it is set up right in your eyes.

thx

I cant tell you. I dont use DSL and i dont even have a landline. I havent for at least 6 years. I use my Cell which already has CallerID.

But from what i am reading and what i remember about this stuff it sounds okay. But frankly it is much more hassle than what it is worth to see the number come up on your monitor. It would be far easier to just have the phone by you to read the number off of that instead of your monitor.

I cant tell you. I dont use DSL and i dont even have a landline. I havent for at least 6 years. I use my Cell which already has CallerID.

But from what i am reading and what i remember about this stuff it sounds okay. But frankly it is much more hassle than what it is worth to see the number come up on your monitor. It would be far easier to just have the phone by you to read the number off of that instead of your monitor.

LOL Mak, I agree with you 100% about a lot of hassle and all. I am just use to having it this way. I use to have something called vonagetalk that did this for me but vonage did a way with it last week. Those buggers.

Anyways appreciate the help and your opinion. :)

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom