Cable modem, 2 PCs on one modem - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2003, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

I got mine going on the USB last night and was working OK but today it would not go online so I assume because I did not set it up with charter that it stoped working.

Drag racer and snowmobiler trying to learn computers.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

I have a Motorola surfboard conneced to a RP614 router, which is like fifty bucks new I think. I supply internet access to my entire house with about 8 roomates. I highly recommend this netgear router. It has a configuration page where you can easily, and I mean easily adjust what mac address your isp will see, and if your pingable, what local ip's you can assign or dhcp out for your computers etc. Being able to filter services, or ports etc, and with the ability to see all attached devices on your network, current ip config info from the service provider, anyway it is very handy - even emails you with log info should something happnen. Anyway, I really like it and all the people in the house get amazing speedy internet access - 100 and it seems/feels like you are the only one connected to the cablemodem. Just wanted to give you my experience, and hope this rambling post gives you a helpful perspective...

Oh yah, I believe you can have up to 255 connections (with hubs etc of course).

Good luck with the USB stuff

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.
President, Digital Equipment, 1977
Old 11-15-2003, 12:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If you're running Win XP, be sure to set up the network after implimenting your new router (essential) because XP is more picky than most OS's

Closed Thread