c/dos

Status
Not open for further replies.
i will try to explain as best i can forget dos, my old computer was an ibm thinkpad t42,and as i had a dual boot he said it would slow my computer down,so i asked him to delete vortex vista,and keep crystal xp whatever he typed in,it brought up a script,and in the flick of a button he deleted a partition,and guess what it was the wrong one,it was crystal xp he deleted instead of vortex vista,hope this helps you guys and i appreciate all your help,this is a great forum for a beginner like me.

Unless he specifically installed DOS then it wasnt DOS. There is a command prompt. But DOS was dropped from Windows when XP was released.
actually, it was 2000 (which XP is based on).
Anyway, I think he's asking how his friend partitioned his drives. I'd probably say he used FDISK (which is a DOS-based program)

actually, it was 2000 (which XP is based on).
Anyway, I think he's asking how his friend partitioned his drives. I'd probably say he used FDISK (which is a DOS-based program)

NT4.0 only emulated MS-DOS under it's gui and it wasn't needed to boot 4.0. It did come with a full version that could be loaded from the BL though.

Yes, differnt version from NT's though. Which was true MS-DOS still ... since 6.22 was released around the same time.
NT4.0 never used autoexec.bat nor config.sys etc etc, like MS-DOS did (except for backwards compatibility)

Okay, so two thinks may have happen. Either he used a DOS installation to delete the partition, or he just had an XP CD and loaded it up and deleted the partition that way. I guess there are other partition managers he could have used too.

Either way if he deleted the partition it is probably gone, there are tools out there to recover data but with deleting / formating partitions it becomes much more difficult to recover data.

Seems like your friend, Sir Dos McCheese of Mistakesville, owes you a refund. If I asked someone to remove a partition and they removed the one that I told them to keep I would be pretty ticked.

During this whole episode, did he reboot the computer? bring any disks? run the command prompt from XP? from Vista?

i dont know what he did,he done it so quick,but he never used any partition manager or cd ,all i know is he typed in something,a script came up and he deleted before i got a chance to see what the script said,he keeps his secrets to himself,so he can make more money out of me,which i find very irratating,as i want to learn about computers,so i have stopped using him

Is this a guy or a company? If it is a guy just stop using him, if it is a company you need to call them up and complain about the underqualified technician they are sending to your place.

My guess is this isn't a company, but a random guy that thinks he knows more than he does. You're SOL if this is the case, as there really isn't anything you can do since you aren't using an actual company.

Live and learn I guess, sorry for your loss. Maybe now would be a great time to impliment a backup system :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom