Buying downloaded software from online retailers: pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldfleming

Baseband Member
Buying downloaded software from online retailers: pros and cons
It would appear to be possible to achieve from some online retailers a 50% discount on buying downloads of certain software (e.g. Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Business), as opposed to boxed retail versions.

How does this work?

Are these offers generally a scam?

What are the pros and cons of doing this?

Does anyone know of any reputable retailers that sell these types of downloads

You should NEVER EVER EVER buy download versions of things like Microsoft Office from anyone but Microsoft. Simple as that. Those sites do not have the right to distribute Office via download. Microsoft is the only company that reserves the right to offer their products via download from their servers. Anything else is against Microsoft policy. If they tell you to go to the Microsoft Site and download the trial and they will send you a serial for unlock, whats the point? You can get the same thing from the Product Key Card in any Walmart store. You can also purchase the item directly from Microsoft. It is nothing but a scam. They dont have the rights.

I agree with KSoD. When I was a freshman in college, I got burned by buying something online and not from a Microsoft approved dealer, only to find out that MS had/has a student discount. They even have a how to buy page (Windows 7 Professional for Small Business: How to buy) that is pretty easy to navigate through and lets you compare the software you're interested in.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

Con Con Con... where is the pro? I guess price but they're pirated copies.

The only online purchasing of sofware you should be doing is directly from the manufacturer or from a licensed reseller like NewEgg.

You should NEVER EVER EVER buy download versions of things like Microsoft Office from anyone but Microsoft. Simple as that. Those sites do not have the right to distribute Office via download. Microsoft is the only company that reserves the right to offer their products via download from their servers. Anything else is against Microsoft policy. If they tell you to go to the Microsoft Site and download the trial and they will send you a serial for unlock, whats the point? You can get the same thing from the Product Key Card in any Walmart store. You can also purchase the item directly from Microsoft. It is nothing but a scam. They dont have the rights.

This, also don't be fooled into buying something like amsn or libreoffice I have seen a few scams claiming that they are the only licensed place to download from, they are free open source projects with free downloads from the project website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom