System details.
P4 1.3ghz
384mb rimm
hercules prophet 7500 128mb
seagate 40gb HD
Windows ME
samsung dvd/cdr comb 52x
audigy on board sound

There is his problem right there. Windows ME.
Windows ME stands for My Enemy. It recognizes drivers when it wants to. But besides that...

He said that when he inserted other older burnt disks they worked fine. I am assuming these were made with an earlier version of Nero or Alcohol. Did he have both installed on his machine when he made those other disks. It might be as simple as the two burning programs don't get along. They might not get along with each other and/or with Windows ME. If it was the drivers. It make more sense to uninstall the programs first and then reinstall them. Wouldn't the reinstall have the older version of the drivers that did work for him. It seems easy and safer to try that that reinstalling his OS.

The working versions were made with nero 5.5. Should I find a copy of that instead? I have tried using alcohol 120% on its own with no nero installed and that did not work. I will revert back to 5.5.
Cheers

i think what he was saying is that he installed cd-rom drivers so reinstalling nero would have no effect. you are right, uninstalling both cd-burning software and than install the old nero version might work, but i find it odd that BOTH burning software would fail making me beleive it is a system driver problem.

Is there any way I can get the sytem to reset the old drivers. can I uninstall the Cd unit and then get windows to "Recognise" it and install basic Generic drivers rather than the new firmware ?

what driver did you install? what is the name it shows up on your computer? i don't know how you can remove it in winME, but you can update the driver to a generic one. try this for me:

hold down the windows key+r or just click the start button and click on "RUN....." type in "sysdm.cpl" in the run box. click on device manager tab and expand the cd-rom/dvd-rom list. double-click on your cd drive or right click and select properties.

click on driver tab and select update driver. select "specify location of driver (advanced)" and click "display a list of ll drivers......"

click on "show all hardware" and for manufacturer select i think its called generic or standard cd-rom types. ...something like that. finish the update wizard , reboot, and see if you can burn a good cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom