build install cd from i386 /w SP2 integrated? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics
Default build install cd from i386 /w SP2 integrated?

I have a workstation without the installation media. I do have the media's I386 saved on the c drive. It seems I integrated SP2 with the data in I386. I copied the contents of a winxp cd to a folder excluding the I386 directory. Then, I copied in the I386 I have on the hard drive to the folder. Afterwards, I burned the folder to a bootable cd. The cd boots, the blue install screen is shown, but a message is displayed.

Please insert disk labeled
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
into the floppy drive

I ask myself, "Huh? Floppy Drive?" Whatever, I download the XP SP2 setup disks from MS and pop them in. I guess this si not what the machine is looking for because it keeps prompting me to insert the media.

So I boot to the setup disks. This time it tells me to insert the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 into the cdrom drive. I insert the cd I made, but it keeps prompting me to insert media.

how can i install xp using the i386 folder? the keycode is not working with other media.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: build install cd from i386 /w SP2 integrated?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how...-xp-cd-156805/

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics
Default Re: build install cd from i386 /w SP2 integrated?

thx. I had to stop and start the video a few times because it would freeze on a certain frame even though timer was still counting forward.

I searched for bartpe disk.

I downloaded the pebuilder from bart's website. The video shows a different pe disk.

First time booting to the pe disk, it didn't show my local hd. I decided to add the mass storage driver pack from cdforums and the drivers for the sata to use with xp install. I added these to the pebuilder drivers and plugins folder where appropiate.

second time i boot, i saw press f6 to load raid or storage drivers. I prolly didn't have to reburn the pe disk.

I deleted all folders except i386, windows, and some others i wanted to keep.

ran winnt32 from i386 and now we're good to go.

Thanks again.

edit - rep'd mak for posting the link
Closed Thread