BSOD during update, hard drive wiped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfish

Intelligent Metalhead
I'm pretty desperate right now. My computer has been really stable for the past two months, so I've been getting quite comfortable. However, last night I had a BSOD while Windows was updating and now my desktop is screwed.

I shut it down, but it wanted to install some updates before it turned off. So, I turned off my monitors and waited, like I usually do. A few minutes in, I heard the hard drive stop spinning. I thought, "Huh. That sounds suspiciously familiar." I turned my main monitor on again and, what do you know, BSOD! Stop code 0x3B (I think), or "System Service exception."
My computer was acting funny before I shut it off. After I closed all programs except iTunes, I tried to eject my ipod and it told me that it was in use by another application. Opened task manager, nada. I decided to power off and remove it. When I closed iTunes, an error message flickered on the screen. It was only present for a brief moment; all I was able to recognize was a smallish square box that said something about an "error" or a "virus".

This morning, I turned my computer back on, and up to the startup screen everything was normal. Clicked on my icon, typed my password, and instead of saying what it usually says while loading the desktop it said "Preparing desktop". When it finally loaded, my secondary monitor stayed black, and my primary monitor displayed a black background, windows classic grey 2-D theme, and only one icon (Recycling bin). Clicked on the start menu and nothing in there was responsive- it seemed as if the shortcuts no longer worked. Error message popped up that said "C:\\system32\...\desktop refers to a location that is unavailable."

Help?

Okay. Good and bad news; mostly good. I guess the whole black desktop deal was a misleading coincidence, as I installed the service packs (Interesting how I was able to download them without my internet adapter application running?) and restarted, and everything loaded up okay. However, I just got another BSOD that said "Driver_IRQL_Not_less_or_equal." I hate BSODS.

Interesting is not the word i would use. Cause you could have Windows Updates set to download the application when available but wait for you to give the Okay to before they install. So SP1 could have been downloaded at any time, just waiting on you to install. So i wouldnt say that it downloaded at that time.

Driver IRQL is exactly what it sounds like. One of your drivers doesnt like SP1 or Win7 in general.

Hm. I believe that it did say that it was downloading the updates, because I installed them later. A little thing just popped up in the corner telling me that updates were available, and I clicked on it and clicked on a few optional ones.

I've had all sorts of driver-related BSODs, but none in the past couple months. I've always kept my drivers up-to-date, and I never really figured out what exactly caused all the BSODS before. After a SFC and a disk check scan they usually stopped for a week or so.

I ran an SFC and diskcheck this morning, so I'll see if that does anything. That's kinda turned into my default second reaction (First is Tech-Forums). SFC said that there were corrupt files but unable to fix some of them, exactly the same message I've had every time I ran it since I built the computer.

I'm going to check the event viewer to see if it says anything enlightening about the driver.

Edit: Just checked event viewer. It only says "Kernel-Power" as the source of these and every other BSOD I've ever had. Bugchecks for the last two:
First one- BugCheckCode 59
BugCheckParameter1 0xc0000005
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff8000394ff17
BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff8800bc25090
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
Second one- BugcheckCode 209
BugcheckParameter10x62aac54
BugcheckParameter2 0x2
Bugcheck Parameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff8800271a841

There are also approximately 180, give or take 5, error messages all reading "The device, \Device\Harddisk2\DR6, has a bad block." within one minute of time about four hours before the first crash. Just before the first crash, there are three errors from Bonjour (which I never used) reading "ERROR: read_msg errno 10054". 7/60ths of a second later there are two user profile service warnings reading "Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards." This is at the time of the BSoD.
Only one driver error, and this was during the black desktop glitch. It says "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SymIM"
One other driver-related error. This happened twice, the second time an hour and a half before the crash. They read "Process **MCSVHOST.EXE pid (2012) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver."

There are hundreds of other errors and warnings from this time period; I just thought that maybe these were the most important.

Will this ever stop...?!?!? Another BSOD a few minutes ago.

Stop code 0x1E. I've had this one before. However, this is not the same 0x1E that is mentioned in the MSDN site- this one has no name. The common first parameters listed on the MSDN site all begin with 0x80000000. My parameters:
STOP CODE 0x1E (No name provided)
(0xFFFFFFFFc000005, 0xFFFFF8003693F95, 0x000000000000000, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)

I think the last time I had this, I had the exact same parameters. I was just browsing the internet and all of a sudden I got the telltale horizontal static... followed by a blue screen.

Checked event viewer. Still hasn't recorded the BSOD yet.
Two internet errors just beforehand:
Source- Google Update
Network Request Error. Error: 0x80072ee7. Http status code: 0. Url=https://tools.google.com/service/update2 Trying config: source=IE, wpad=1, script=. trying CUP:WinHTTP. Send request returned 0x80072ee7. Http status code 0. trying WinHTTP. Send request returned 0x80072ee7. Http status code 0. trying CUP:iexplore. Send request returned 0x80004005. Http status code 0. Trying config: source=, direct connection. trying CUP:WinHTTP. Send request returned 0x80072ee7. Http status code 0. trying WinHTTP. Send request returned 0x80072ee7. Http status code 0. trying CUP:iexplore. Send request returned 0x80004005. Http status code 0. Trying config: source=IE, wpad=1, script=. trying CUP:WinHTTP. Send request returned 0x80072ee7. Http status code 0. trying WinHTTP. Send request returned 0x80072ee7. Http status code 0. trying CUP:iexplore. Send request returned 0x80004005. Http status code 0. Trying config: source=, direct connection. trying CUP:WinHTTP. Send request returned 0x80072ee7. Http st

Then another, source- Search
ExtraInfo Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog Details: The URL was already processed during this update. If you received this message while processing alerts, then the alerts are redundant, or else Modify should be used instead of Add. (HRESULT : 0x80040d0d) (0x80040d0d)
URL csc://{S-1-5-21-2712554365-2235163944-2276206784-1000}/

Check your C:\Windows\minidump folder. Is there anything in there?

Its not that. You need a special program to read them and you also have to be able to understand them. Zip thrm up using WinZip or WinRar and upload them for analysis.

My computer was fine after that last crash, but I didn't have a chance to go in and look for the minidump file. I'm pretty busy what with homework and projects. I think next Thursday I may be able to dig it up.

Of course, it crashed again. this time it was another non-named BSOD, stop 0x24. It told me to disable antivirus, check for corrupt HDD, and check for driver updates (as usual). I powered up again, and as soon as I opened cmd I got another BSOD, BAD_POOL_HEADER. I'm too scared to reboot right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom