BSOD.... :c(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho_uk

Solid State Member
Hi,

Just before Xmas I was having issues with my browser. Basically, I was unable to get onto any websites, although I did have connectivity as I was able to download mail into my client. As I was unable to find a fix for this, I decided to backup all my data and rebuild from scratch.

Since then I have had nothing but trouble. If left unattended I will get the BSOD, but it does seem stable when it's in use.

I have upgraded to XP SP3, but after reading that other users have had issues with Asus mobos and SP3, I again rebuilt my PC, but only took it as far as SP2 with other patches.

However, I am still getting the BSOD with the following errors:

Machine_Check_Exception
STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80546E70, 0x82000000, 0x00070F0F)

What confuses me most is that it happens 'most' of the time when it's unattended.

I haven't touched the BIOS and have downloaded all the up to date drivers I can find. At present I only have keyb / mouse and printer plugged in.

Other than a physical h/w issue (RAM, CPU or mobo) I can't see what the problem could be.

It's been running fine for the past 2 years...until I reinstalled XP that is :(

Does anyone here have any bright ideas?

Rgds,
Smon

Sounds like it's windows OS issue, not hardware... but have you made sure that you have properly set your heatsink on the CPU, and all your components are not over heating? excessive heat can and will stop the machine from running and windows does recognize this and shut down if it encounters a problem. all I could suggest is slick it again and reload if you have done all this.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I've been running it with the sides off for almost a year and recently gave a good clean with air so there's no / very little dust in there. I've removed and cleaned the heatsink and graphics card - just in case.

Overheating was my first thought, which is why I gave it a good clean.

At the mo the temps are:

CPU: 42c
Mobo: 36c

CPU Fan running at 1622rpm...

Looks fairly normal to me.

Rgds,
Simon

looks good to me as well, so the next thing I would do is slick again, and reload. Sometimes windows doesn't take the first time... or second for that matter, depending on the condition of the disc.

Got nothing to lose - I'll give it another go.

3rd time lucky :D

I have been deleting the partition and doing a full format prior to install. I've run several disc scans and nothing has come that has shown a problem with the disc.

I'll let you know how I get on, this time round.

I would suggest that before you do it, check to see if you CAN update your bios... if it needs it then do it... always keep your system updated...

Just got another BSOD with a slightly different error:

netbt.sys - Address B20000000 base at B1FE0000, Datestamp 41107ecc

Any ideas?

I was trying to install the Asus Update tool at the time....

From what I read that error is your browser causing it. so you can either try to replace the corrupted file (the netby.sys file) or try and repair windows.

Bug Check 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

That is for the first BSOD. I would do 1 of 2 things.

1. Go thru Osiris's Spyware Guide.
2. Try a repair install of XP before you attempt to update to SP3.

Sounds like there is a internal error in some Windows files which is causing the BSOD when you attempt to update. The Repair install will fix that. The reson i suggest the spyware guide is because most of the time it is those factors that change the Windows files.

I think I've finally cracked it....

After removing everything, apart from gfx card and reinstalling bit by bit, including a fresh XP install.

I think i've narrowed it down to my Netgear WN311B wireless card. It BSOD'd on me after about 3mins of installing it, whilst it had been ok for about 1hr without it.

I have disabled the Windows Zero Configuration and it's been stable for about 2hrs so far - I've yet to install XP updates though :sigh: - I'll leave them for the morning...

Anyway, so far so good...and i'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks for the help...and thanks for the advice of doing more research on MCA - I've found a utility on the AMD site which interrogates and translates the BSOD into a more readable format. I think I'll give that a go.

Rgds,
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom