BSOD bad_pool_call on install; Windows XP; Linux dual boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

Beta member
Ok about a month or two ago I installed SuSE Linux 9.0 Personal Edition, I don't really know if this is relevant, but I should give you the full story anyway. A couple of days ago, Windows XP Pro gave me a BSOD (something about paged_in_nonpaged). When I went to restart, it wouldn't: just after the grub bootloader selected windows, I got a black screen: "The following file is missing or corropt: /windows/system32/config/system"

Just before I got the BSOD I had done one of my routine spring cleaning sessions: ad-aware, disk-cleanup, easycleaner; and defrag. And earlier that day I installed a game (Tiberian Sun).

I know that the affected file is one of 5 registry files. I also know that it exists (can see it with linux) so it must be corrupt. I have read an article on the MS website on how to repair a corrupt registry by using the files in c:\windows\repair... ...but I can't. I'm supposed to use the Repair Console from the Windows Install CD to copy old versions of the registry across. Repair console doesn't work - when I try and use it I get a BSOD saying bad_pool_call, with all the usual parameters. I searched for these on the MS website and I have narrowed this error down to: "attempt to free a virtual address which was never in any pool". The virtual address is different each time (so I assume it is not memory).

I think the problem could be that I have a Promise RAID 0 controller card, and so I had loaded the driver before the BSOD. So I updated the driver and tried again - without any success. After making a backup of some of my important files onto linux (and then onto dvd) I thought I'll just reinstall windows. But I still get the bad_pool_call. I also did a memory test using linux to see if there were any errors - none.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Why should a windows installation be using virtual memory anyway (I presume that is what virtual address refers to), is it just trying to be clever by seeing the windows installation and using its swapfile? I also know that installing windows after linux is, tricky to say the least (it kills grub - bootloader); but could the bad_pool_call be anything to do with linux on the same hdd?

Thanks for any help, this one has really been puzzling me,

Erlend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom