Bsod!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice Daddy

Fully Optimized
for some reason my computer just froze, I turned it off, then rebooted it, but as soon as it gets to the windows loading screen I get a bsod and it turns off(same thing everytime), it happens to fast to see what the warning is, and it does the same thing when I try safemode

so far, one message has come up, something about wondows cannot start because it is missing this file "system32/hal" I'm not sure about the exact name, it happened to fast

any ideas, a quick responce would be nice

other info:

- have not installed new hardware or software
- recently did a fresh install of windows
- specs are in sig

It sounds like the hal.dll or maybe the hal32.dll. I would say it is the hal.dll. Try this and see if it works:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

ok, thanx

I'll give it a try...

edit:

access is denied???

help!! I want to fix it before I leave!! 2:30 it's 1:05 now (central time zone)

hmm....

the reason I had to reinstall windows the first time was because the partition information suddenly dissapeared...

it seems it is happening again!!

help

I will try to put together as much information as I can, along with the info in the first post

- the windows install disk says the partition on C is damaged, corrupt, or unreadable (that's the jist of it) I still have the option of formating it (but I just recovered from my last disaster) :(

- partition magic shows the partition (ntfs) I checked it for errors, and it came up with a "CRC error in data" "severity - critical" "#45" the fix option is not clickable

- I have a feeling that my hard drive is reaching its end, I will probably get a new one, but I really need to recover this data!!

help!!

edit: more info

-I tried to run Norton Ghost, and it closed out and said this:

ABORT: 29004, Read sector failure, result = 1, drive = 0, sectors 40010015 to 40010079

thanks Makaveli213,

I think I am mistypeing something when trying to expand the hal.dll file

also, following those instructions (single boot for me) it never asks for an administrative password... (there is one assigned)

could that be why access is denied?

I'll try again sunday or monday... (busy weekend)

to bad I'll be working instead of playing on my pc when I get back...

Well without a doubt it sounds as if your HDD it taking a one way trip out. I would invest in another HDD and install Windows. That way you can use this as a secondary drive and still recover the Data. But if you must use this one these are gonna be youe best methods.

I tried several techniques to recover the hal.dll file, I also tried to "repair" the boot.ini, and I ran a few other commands such as fixmbr, bootcfg /rebuild, etc...

I even tried to copy the hal file using the "copy" command in dos...

No luck...

I still got the crc error in partition magic and for some reason I would get a bsod whenever I tried installing windows on my second hard drive

Finally, I decided to take my hard drive, put it in my brotherÂ’s computer and try to recover data, I installed it as the slave drive and when windows booted, it ran a chkdsk to check for
Consistency, it fixed one error "chkdsk has fixed errors in the volume bitmap" (any one feel like explaining what the volume bitmap is?)

Then, from his computer I was able to access my hard drive and files...

So... I then placed the hard drive back into my computer and IT WORKED!!!

Hooray, not only is my pc working again, I didn't lose any data, and I learned some new tricks

I need to purchase a new hard drive... I think I will get a 300+Gb maxtor or something... and an sata card (should I get sata2 ?, and is that compatable with sata?)

but first I need to get one more scholarship to pay off college :cross fingers:

Thanks for all the info Makaveli213! :)

Here you go Juice Daddy. The info on what a Volume Bitmap is.

Volume Bitmaps
The File Manager uses a volume bitmap to keep track of whether each block in a volume is currently allocated to some file or not. The bitmap contains one bit for each allocation block in the volume. If a bit is set, the corresponding allocation block is currently in use by some file. If a bit is clear, the corresponding allocation block is not currently in use by any file and is available for allocation.

Note
The volume bitmap indicates which blocks on a volume are currently in use, but it does not indicate which files occupy which blocks. The File Manager maintains file-mapping information in two locations: in each file's catalog entry and in the extents overflow file.
The size of the volume bitmap depends on the number of allocation blocks in the volume, which in turn depends both on the number of physical blocks in the volume and on the size of the volume's allocation blocks (the number of physical blocks per allocation block). For example, a floppy disk that can hold 800 KB of data and has an allocation block size of one physical block has a volume bitmap size of 1600 bits (200 bytes). A volume containing 32 MB of data and having an allocation block size of one physical block has a volume bitmap size of 65,536 bits (8192 bytes). However, the size of the volume bitmap is rounded up, if necessary, so that the volume bitmap occupies an integral number of physical blocks.

Because the drNmAlBlks field in the MDB occupies only 2 bytes, the File Manager can address at most 65,535 allocation blocks. Thus, the volume bitmap is never larger than 8192 bytes (or 16 physical blocks). For volumes containing more than 32 MB of space, the allocation block size must be increased. For example, a volume containing 40 MB of space must have an allocation block size that is at least 2 physical blocks; a volume containing 80 MB of space must have an allocation block size that is at least 3 physical blocks; and so forth.

I am glad you got it working correctly. Sorry i wasnt able to help you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom