Broadband HELP!!??!!??!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoticBoy

Baseband Member
NTL Broadband HELP!!??!!??!!??

I'm getting ntl braodband soon the 600k one i want it on 2 computers which i understand i will need a router to do this, the only thing is is that the cable box is downstairs and my computers are upstairs how do i connect it to my computers? :question:what are the cables called and will i need a network card in my computer? or can i use USB if so which is faster?
I need the basic knowledge of broadband so if anyone could send me a usefull site or some advice on what i need and how to use it

Thanks in advance

Ryan

341920@students.oldham.ac.uk
PsychoticBoy@my.mopilot.com

Just get a hub. Connect the cable modem to the hub in the uplink port. Then run 2 cables, one to each computer.

Don't go USB. Go out and buy a name brand 10/100 nic (Network interface card) and some CAT 5 cable. Your cable modem handles everything. Just install the drivers, reboot and everything should work fine.

whats the cable that runs from the modem to the hub called? or will it come with one? and is the hub the router?

so i buy a hub... 2 CAT 5 cables to run from the hub to each network card in the computers, is that right?

The cable that runs from the modem to the hub is just a small CAT5 cable. Your modem will come with one.

and yes, buy a hub (or router, Linksys is a good one), and 2 CAT5 cables. That should do it. Easy as cheese.

Keep in mind that the hardware included in your link is "recertified". As far as your inquiry.... this will most certainly be ok but just in case you would like another option:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=516355&Sku=N100-1464 P
Netgear is another trusted brand besides D-Link.

1) Connect a CAT5 (or CAT5e) cable from the cable modem to the WAN port on the back of the router (WAN Port may say Internet Port)
2) Connect each PCs Network Card (You will need one card for each PC) to the LAN ports on the router with the same type of CAT5 (or CAT5e) cable.

Follow any other necessary instructions within the router's manual and then you should be all set to go.

-Michael

if you can buy a switch for roughly the same price do it. a switch is much more efficient than a hub if you intend to connect more computers or device onto your network. if you cannot stand the clutter of wires buy wireless networking hardware. if you need a brief explanation go to bestbuy.com , they have a nice little introduction on wireless networking

I think "hub" is becoming more of a household name for "switch".....but even so, a "router/hub" don't commonly exist, otherwise you would be going from a Layer 3 device to a Layer 1 device and skipping Layer 2. Then you would be broadcasting a signal to every PC which would, in turn, defeat the purpose of NAT. Sorry.........was I thinking out loud...."Damnit!"
Yea, wireless would most certainly take the "physical medium chaos" out of the works....

-Michael

you can pick up the same wireless router i have (D-Link DI-614+) for about $50 USD now, and the PCI card (D-Link DWI-520+) for something like $30 at Best Buy, so i can only imagine what they cost online.
Unfortunately (for me, anyway) the price dropped there a week after i bought mine. They cost twice as much then T-T

that really makes loads of sense to me!?
oh yeh if both computers are on at the same time using braodband does it cut the 600k to 300k each?
how would NTL install it cos they charge 15quid extra installation to connect it up to 2 computers but it still 24.99 a month.
would it be best to let them do it or do it myself? i know how to do it i aint that thick lol
Thanks 4 ur help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom