Bricked pc Doing Vista/XP dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishman

Baseband Member
Hey all,

Here is the story all about how my life got flipped upside down... and how i bricked my pc.

I have a 250gig sata with a vista partition and data partition.
I wanted to play old games and decrypt dvds and whatnot.
So:
I threw in an old 30gig ide hdd for loading xp.
popped in the xp install disk.
rebooted, Got the blue xp install screen.
Followed the steps.
Installed xp on the ide.
it finished and rebooted and now it wont boot either os.
so i pulled the ide and tried booting from the sata and it cant find the ntldr or whatever.

So,

now im at work, and my sata is in my work computer and i have access to both the vista and data partitions and i need help with this BCD thing.

Can i just take my bcd from my work os and throw it on my home hdd?
both my work and home comps were loaded vista with the same disk. So i wont have any probs with one being ultimate and one enterprise.

let me know what you know.

aaron
dishman

I know, i know. I should have found one of the million how to dual boot xp and vista guides. I have been humbled.

Windows Vista Beta: How to dual-boot Windows XP and Windows Vista - Lifehacker

grab your Vista CD and use the repair startup option. that will bring back Vista, then install EasyBCD and add XP to the boot.ini.

I love techforums.com everyone here is awesome. Ill find my vista dvd and give it a try. Thanks.

I guess Vista does not use a boot.ini file anymore. its this new bcdedit.exe deal. It seems to me that the bcdedit.exe is just an interface to edit the real boot file. I want to know if i can copy the real boot file from my working machine to my non working machine. and to be able to do that i would need to know what and where this real file is.

Boot Configuration Data in Windows Vista

it that situation, you need to obtain a copy of vista from a friend or anohter source. although it might be possible to copy the bcd from the other machine to the non working one, it may not work correctly due to hardware related information contained in the bcd.

EasyBCD can reload your BCD. As long as you can boot into XP. Other than that you will need to use a Knippox Live CD or something like that to copy one from another source. But that might not work as they might not have the same exact boot setup as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom