Brand new PC slow after logging in

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNiGHTMaRe89

In Runtime
Ok, so I built a new PC for my aunt and I had it hooked up at my house when I was building it. I installed all software and applications and I didn't run into any problems or anything.

Tonight, I take the PC to my aunt's house and hook it up and all. XP Pro boots up, and I click on her login name...takes a few seconds, I see the desktop background, then after 30 seconds, the icons finally load.

At first glance, I open msconfig, go to startup and kill any unnecessary startup apps. So right now, the only thing listed to startup is ZoneAlarm, Avast Home Edition, LogMeIn and the realtek audio drivers and the ATI Catalyst.

Reboot, same thing. No I am starting to question something else. I flush the DNS for the **** of it, usually this fixes this problem in a domain environment. Next, I look at Avast's settings and notice on startup it has a Memory Test. I disable that - same thing. I checked for any other startup settings in Avast. Couldn't find any. I didn't get a chance to disable Avast from startup at all, just to see if it is Avast which causes this, but what else could it be?

Any suggesstions? This is a brand new PC, just built on Monday, didn't have problems at my house when I was building it. I didn't install anything after I left my house. I get to her house, hook it up and now this. I am really out of ideas...any thoughts fellas?

Hardware: Asus M2A-VM, AMD 64x2 4200+ AM2, 1GB Corsair Value memory, 500GB WD SATA.

Software: XP Pro, Avast Home Edition, Zone Alarm Firewall, IE, Office07, Quicktime, Winamp, Itunes, DVDDecrypter, DVDShrink, Nero, CCleaner, Comodo Backup, Windows SteadyState, LogMeIn etc.

30 seconds is not that long of a wait to load a profile. Office 07 has background processes, as does Zone Alarm, Quicktime, WinAmp, iTunes, Nero Comodo Backup.

So first i would check LogMeIn. Then Zone Alarm. I knw that one raises boot time by about 25% on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom