BOOTMGR is MISSING - XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

vgolf54

Baseband Member
hi, everytime i push the power button on my advent 4211 netbook laptop i keep getting a message saying " BOOTMGR is missing. Press CTRL ALT + Del to restart" and when i do it just goes on forever. when i push f11 aswell to reboot my computer though pc angel that isn't there either for some reason? i never got a windows xp disk with my netbook and i never made the boot up disks. it started off by a message saying File: \Boot\BCD
Status 0xc000000f
im not sure how this all occured either, all that happend was that the laptop ran out of battery.

so is there anyways i can get round this to fix my laptop at all?

Thanks

Download this Recovery Console BootCD
http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Burn the image (ISO) to CD (Here's a free image burning software: The Official ImgBurn Website Or just you your own)
Boot from the newly created Recovery Console BootCD
On the command prompt type: chkdsk c: /r (and then press enter) Note one space after "c:")
Once CheckDisk has finished repairing the faults, type Exit, and then Restart (remove the BootCD)
All done :)

thanks. so i've ran the disk not sure when do i push 1 and enter though?
when i ran it it started to run a windows set up then i get a blue screen saying " a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
if this is the first time u have seen this stop error screen restart ur computer. if this screen appears again follow tjhese steps:
check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configiured and terminated. run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information
STOP 0X00000007B (0XF7A9463C,OXC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000"

sorry im really clueless at all this stuff?

then when i did restart it says BOOTMGR is missing again.

when i ran it it started to run a windows set up then i get a blue screen...

then when i did restart it says BOOTMGR is missing again.
"Boot Manager" hey? Yep pretty positive there's a command line fix for that. But don't worry about it yet, because I'm more positive CheckDisk will ironically fix such an unrelated issue (call it 100s of computer experience wisdom, just on this fault ;))

Now, you cannot get a windows stop error, if you boot from the Recovery Console disc
Did you do that? Because it sounds as though you booted from your Windows boot drive

i'm not sure because its a netbook i plugged in my cd rewriter to the laptop and then loaded it from there?

Oh I see

Well you have to make sure that your Bios is set to CD first bootup
To access bios Setup screen you should see a key like DEL or F2 or some other "press some key, to get into Bios Setup screen)

Once in Bios Setup, locate your boot options, and confirm CD/DVD is the first bootable device
Then Save and Exit Bios Setup

If your newly created Recovery Console Boot disc, does not start still, then you may not have burned it correctly. You need to burn the image, like File > open Image > RC.ISO
Did you burn it correctly?

yeah i burned it correctly. it automatically started up and went onto the windows thing again? but when do i push the 1 then enter part? maybe that has something to do with it ? lol

Actually I didn't answer that part because the normal Recovery Console using Windows Setup CD, you do need to do that
but with the RC.ISO, I'm not sure

Basically boot from the RC boot disc
Once you get to a command line, then type in Checkdsk
To check all drives its chkdsk *: /r
* will automatically check all drives attached to the computer (even though there's only one, it may not be "C" drive from the Recovery Console >RC.ISO Boot CD (although I think it still is)

By the way, any Windows XP Setup Disc can do this for you (even if its not the right version)
You boot from the Windows Setup disc (that you may need to borrow)
Then press the first "R" prompt (after all the drivers load up)
Then press 1
Then press Enter
Then press enter (to enter past the Administrator password, which is likely blank)
Then type: chkdsk c: /r

i don't seem to get a command line as it goes onto the windows setup then at the bottom is says set up is loading files then loads things then says set up is starting windows then goes onto that blie screen where it say a about the a problem has been detected?

yeah i cant seem to get my hands on a windows xp disk only vista which wont work i dont think?

Either your Cd/DVD Drive is not a bootable drive (they can also fault on this, but work inside Windows)
Or your bios is not picking up the CD as first boot option
Or you haven't done a cold start (ie not reset, but turn off, then turn on)
Or.. wait that's about it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom