Booting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicyvegetable

Beta member
I recently attached an old hard drive to my new computer to transfer some files. The old hard drive has Windows 98 and the new has XP. I booted on the xp hard drive, transfered the files and all was ok. I then decided i wanted to reinstall 98 on the old hard drive to wipe it clean so i could have a second computer that worked. So i loaded my Bios, set the hard drive boot priority to the old HD, then set the overall boot device priority to CD, put the 98 disk in the drive and restarted. It loaded the 98 setup program, about 2 steps into the program, I then started to worry. I worried that the 98 was going to install on my new HD and destroy all my files. So i exited the setup, shut down, removed the cd and the old hard drive and rebooted to check if the new HD was ok. I reset the BIOS settings to how they were before all this and tried to load windows. On the main boot screen i get a message saying 'BOOT DISK FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER' Wierd thing is if i press enter then it starts to boot windows XP, does the loading bar thing then gets to where i would log in, and sits on a blue screen with just the window's logo in the middle. I've tried rebooting hitting enter then hitting F8 and booting in safe mode and it does the same thing. Any advice please.

here is what I would do. install winows XP on the old disk and DO NOT activate it with Microsoft. Next, use it to gain access to the new drive and recover as many files as possible , and burn them to CD(s). Then remove the old hard disk, and reformat and install XP on the new hard disk. Copy the burned files, and activate Windows XP. Then disconnect the new hard disk, and connect the old disk and install Win98. Now you will have two restored hard disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom