Booting incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigy

In Runtime
Now, whenever i boot up windows; I get a choice between whether i should boot up with windows xp home, or windows xp home (no thats not a typo) the default is the second winxp home, so i go w/ that. This doesn't really negatively affect me, but its annoying and worrying.

what i have done to incure this:

I installed a second SATA HDD; and using some western digital software; i transfered the contents of my origional HDD to my second, newer, larger HDD. Then, I switched the SATA cables around.

I installed Ubuntu linux on the second HDD, which included a format. However, (ive done the linux install twice) whenever i do that, GRUB (the multiple OS loader whatchamacallit) shows up (as expected) but i get erros if i pick linux or windows. so i go into recovery console (on the windows xp cd) and type

fixboot
and
fixmbr

and that fixes my problem ; leaving me with the initial "problem" outlined at this post's beginning.

Thank you for any help; i hope this doesn't belong in the 'nix section instead.

Run msconfig, and go to the boot ini tab. and click the check all boot paths, and it will ask you to remove the dead boot path.

try booting into safemode and running msconfig in safemode. or you can edit the boot.ini by start > right click my computer > properties > advanced tab > startup and recovery > and edit to adjust the boot.ini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom