booting from disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

san21893

Uber Sanoob Techie
I have an image of windows xp and it is a .daa file. I used gburner to mount the image on to a disk so i can install it to my pc. Whenever i boot up, it says that it starts to boot from cd but then goes straight to loading up windows vista. Both gburner and poweriso say that the disc is bootable. Any ideas on whats up?

Mounting the disc only works from within Windows. You have to Burn it to a CD for your PC to be able to boot from it.

Well it could be that the format was unrecognized and not bootable even though the apps said it was. I have never seen a Windows CD in that format. ISO yes. DAA no.

Check your BIOS to make sure that you can boot from CD first. Also before you go installing XP make sure you have drivers. Vista drivers will not work. I have seen to many people jump the gun only to realize that there isnt XP drivers for their stuff.

I set the bios to boot from cd. I have the drivers necessary for xp because thats what I originally used on my pc. Do you know any programs that can convert a .daa file to .iso?

Did you burn the image to the disc as a data disc, or did you burn the image to the disc so it dumped all the files that were in the DAA image onto the disc? I've used both DAA as well as ISO without problem at all before.

That is a PowerISO format. So you should be able to burn it right thru that and have it be bootable. But to convert it there are several apps for it.

convert .daa to .iso - Google Search

Should be able to convert it within PowerISO as well. Just resave the file as an ISO instead of a DAA file.

Did you burn the image to the disc as a data disc, or did you burn the image to the disc so it dumped all the files that were in the DAA image onto the disc? I've used both DAA as well as ISO without problem at all before.
That's what I was wondering, too. There is a difference between burning the file to a CD and creating a CD from the image, which is what you need to do.

I converted the image to iso within power iso and then burned the iso onto a disc and tried to boot from it and it still didnt work. After that i opened the iso in poweriso and all the files showed up, then it said that it was bootable, i just burned the cd with all the files just there and it worked. I dont understand what happened but it worked the opposite way it should have.

you must have burned the ISO to the disc as data, rather than actually burning the ISO to the disc (its contents). What were you using to burn with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom