Booting from the disc. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Booting from the disc.

Okay, something has simply ruined my computer. Basically every executable no longer works, and I can't install anything. I have a CD with Windows XP on it. How do I simply get rid of everything, and put this on there?

Old 11-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Booting from the disc.

Put the CD in your computer and turn it on. If it doesn't boot, go into BIOS and set it to boot from CD. Then follow the setup, delete your existing partition, and continue. If you want to get data off of your computer, you can use a Linux liveCD like Ubuntu (Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu) to access your hard drive and copy the files to CD, network, other HDD's, or USB drives, and then shut down, boot XP disk, and install.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Booting from the disc.

Okay, well I found out the problem was due to a disc being damaged. I found out which one it was and I am not using it anymore. I used to have 2 hard drives and now am just using one. However, whenever I go to boot, it goes into the set-up to XP, but then says it can't install because of an error. This is after a boot from the hard drive to XP, it shows the XP screen and all. I have tried repairing over and over, I tried doing it from another disc, I've tried all I can think of. I have also tried installing Ubuntu, and I get the same result, it simply have some error. The error is something like Manifest parsing or something top-level, I can't quite understand what's going on.

Also, I have another computer, I was building cheap to be a media warehouse, and I never got past a specific problem. It can turn on but it never goes to the boot screen, and the DVD drive won't open if the IDE cord is plugged in, but it will if it is unplugged and the power cord is in (while the computer is on of 'course). Are these two related? What could be the problem. The hard drive isn't IDE, it's SATA, so I don't know if that would make a difference. The DVD Drive is set to master, but I had the same results when it was set to slave.

Please help me out here, thanks.
Closed Thread