Booting from D Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgeth

Solid State Member
Booting from Another Partition

Looking for a way to set the D: drive bootable in Boot.Ini and have it boot into a boot disk type setting, prompt and such. Everytime I do what I think is right, it boots to an error message pertaining to ntoskrnl missing, or just a blinking cursor.

Im using Windows 2000, if that helps.

Any help is really appreciated it.

Thank you in advance,

Matthew Smith

No it doesnt...

I work at a company, and am looking for a way to remotely Image pc's from the help desk room. Dont have any access to any of the admin tools, just me, Remote Admin(connect to others desktop), and my mind.. which is the bad part.

Maybe make some sort of script, or bat file that pulls files from a network directory... and include a copy of old DOS in there? Would that work...

i used to work for hp doing a project where we imaged and deployed over 3000 pc's for lake county public schools. the way we did it was we had the image put on the lcps server, then we had a boot disc that handeled the installation over the network. i dont remember what the program was called that the image was made from though. a good start would be http://unattended.msfn.org/ though.

Thanks, going to check it out. Trying to eliminate going to the computers at all, as imaging is tedious, and walking back and forth is ridiculous.. I will fix it all.. with you guys help ;P

To explain further, Unattended CD wouldnt work I dont think as we have something similar in place...

We have a boot disk now, that launches, asks us which location.. we answer, and it goes into Symantec Ghost 7.1. I've found the way to automate all that.. and after that restarts, it goes into its automatic windows 2000 install, and network set up.

What I want to do, is take those contents off the boot disk and put them in a directory on the PC remotely. Then change the boot.ini, or some other way of doing it... and it will go in, go to Ghost automatically, reinstall windows, and then when all is said and done.. PC can be connected to, set up, and fin.

It worked once for me, but the PC that it worked on had a DOS folder on its C Drive. I dont think I can just copy and paste that folder to them all and they'll work... in a perfect world I could but meh.

Away I go again, to try as I may to get it to work

No one else has a clue? Was thinking maybe a way to drop FreeDOS files in, havent attempted even installing freeDos though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom