Bootable partitioning.

You cannot create a new partition because there are already four primary partitions on the disk, as we all know, Windows only allows four partitions on the mbr disk: four primary partitions or three partitions and one extended dirve (we can create many logical partitions in exteneded partition).
to create a new partition, you can convert one primary partition to logical partition with some third tools. However, I know one partition program seems named AOMEI Partition Assistant could assist to create partition even there are already four primary partition. and you said you are running Windows 7, its free partition edition, home edition could help you as well. You can GOOGLE AND TRY.

OK so I did figure out last night that the Gparted software won't work but I have gotten permission from work to use a solution I didn't even think of....a virtual machine. My system can take running 8 in a VM environment and I have gotten permission from work to use VMWARE Workstation. Thank you Mak, Mindovermaster, and Carnagex for all your help. This has had me stressing at work all week and now I have a solution. I do believe you have just saved my job. Thank you.

I feel stupid for not thinking of it before I started stressing out. Hahaha. It's the little things in life you should appreciate. Thank you VMware Workstation.

OK so I did figure out last night that the Gparted software won't work but I have gotten permission from work to use a solution I didn't even think of....a virtual machine. My system can take running 8 in a VM environment and I have gotten permission from work to use VMWARE Workstation. Thank you Mak, Mindovermaster, and Carnagex for all your help. This has had me stressing at work all week and now I have a solution. I do believe you have just saved my job. Thank you.

That shouldnt have happened. Did you try all the setting including the Legacy ones or just try the Recommended ones? GParted is by the the most universal of all the Drive Managers I have found to date. I have used it for several years and not a single machine I have used it on has not worked with it. From machines that are 8 years old to ones that were built today.

It could be due to the fact I have a Legacy version, not one that they have today. I was smart and saved one of the older versions that uses the XVesa drivers. They worked on just about everything back then. I would go to the GParted page and take a look for version 0.3.3 or one of the older versions that used this driver. It will work. ;)

That is of course if you would rather run it from the drive than try to run it from VMWare. I only say this cause I know that VM can cause issues with the Beta Software and you might not get the experience you want/need to properly test it for work. The drivers used are not kept up to date, so you might not have the proper resolution to use the Store and other features. It requires at least a 1280x768 Resolution to be able to use all features of Win8. Something that might not be possible given the limitations of VM Drivers.

Plus I can tell you from personal experience, as in right now, that running a VM of it and running it natively is a different beast. I ran it in VirtualBox on my Ubuntu install. I have finally taken the plunge and installed it to properly test it on my system as of yesterday. I have a totally different view than what I had previously. Just to put that out there.

Plus I can tell you from personal experience, as in right now, that running a VM of it and running it natively is a different beast. I ran it in VirtualBox on my Ubuntu install. I have finally taken the plunge and installed it to properly test it on my system as of yesterday. I have a totally different view than what I had previously. Just to put that out there.

That a good or bad view, Mak? :umm:

It is actually good. I know most people hate Metro, and honestly I can understand, but it isn't that bad. While it is made for touch, no more than 5 minutes with it and I completely forgotten about the so called Start Menu. I don't use on in Ubuntu, so I don't miss it anymore. I have gotten used to right clicking for what I need and it has only been a days worth of using it.

With the addition of Office 15 and the Media Center Addon, the system is fully functional as if I was using Win7. I don't notice Aero missing or anything. Quite honestly if it wasn't for the fact I would have to purchase Media Center to stream my content, which I maybe able to get around using PlayOn since I own a lifetime license anyways, I am honestly considering buying Win8 when it comes out and has the sale price of $40. I thought I had to get away but actual use of the OS and not dwelling on Metro has proved to be a great experience.

I don't know. I trialed windows 8 when I was at a friends place. (He installed it) I missed the start menu a lot. After using XP, Vista then 7 and then to find windows 8 without a start menu kinda creeped me out until I got used to it. But that's half the battle. Getting used to the control of the OS.

I don't know. I trialed windows 8 when I was at a friends place. (He installed it) I missed the start menu a lot. After using XP, Vista then 7 and then to find windows 8 without a start menu kinda creeped me out until I got used to it. But that's half the battle. Getting used to the control of the OS.

I have never been without the start Menu from Windows 3.1 back in the late 80's. The Start Menu is only 1 piece of the software. So to sit here and tell an old timer like me who has worked with the Start Menu for such a long time that the OS cant be used without it is junk. Sorry but that is just people refusing to try something different.

What would people do if we went back to DOS days when there was no graphics at all?

There is nothing wrong with the absence of the Start Menu. People navigate iOS, Android and mobile devices without one, Mac uses navigate OS X without it and Linux users are the only ones with something simliar to it. The start menu does not make the OS, the OS makes the menu.

Back
Top Bottom